Kiln dried oak stockist in midlands / derbyshire / yorkshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cusimar9

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to find a good supplier of kiln dried oak near me.

British Hardwoods are great for supplying stock around 23mm thick but I need something a bit thicker for a table top (~32mm)

I'm after something quite characterful so ideally I'd like to pick some boards from stock prior to them being cut to size.

I've found a supplier of air dried oak but they've recommended it's not really suitable for furniture and I should use kiln dried.

The trouble is nobody seems to stock kiln dried, they all have to 'order it in'. So where do they order it from!?

Within about 50 miles of Chesterfield area should be OK.

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick

I would try Associated Timber (01476-860117) there just south of Grantham, in Honeypot Lane off A1 (57mls from Chesterfield) .

They have shed after shed of kiln dried pretty much everything and they deliver. Almost all timber is FSC, they're not the cheapest supplier around, but their huge operation means they can get you virtually everything.

Good Luck David

Whitmore's at Hinkley have huge stock. You do have to book a buying slot, and if you choose to select your own boards they will charge you more than if you are happy to have them "as they rise". That's because they have to employ someone to stand about whilst you make your mind up :) But they are good.
S

dejaa":3qjtfjn1 said:
Hi Rick

I would try Associated Timber (01476-860117) there just south of Grantham, in Honeypot Lane off A1 (57mls from Chesterfield) .

They have shed after shed of kiln dried pretty much everything and they deliver. Almost all timber is FSC, they're not the cheapest supplier around, but their huge operation means they can get you virtually everything.

Good Luck David

Ask nicely and you will more than likely get trade price, I am only a hobbyist and only buy the occasional plank (Cherry, Maple, Walnut) but get midway between trade and retail, they are a very very helpful bunch, they have a huge stock and Oak in various sizes from 100mm thick slices down.

Andy

Right, a few enquiries have been made, hopefully a new supplier will be found soon!

S H Somerscales in Lincolnshire have a huge selection of kiln stock. You can pick your boards and take them waney edge or pay for them to be cut and machined if needs be.

Thanks Zach, I remember you mentioning them for green oak but I didn't realise they held kiln dried as well, will give them a call.

Hi Mark, yes they said they have to order it in. I did also ring their Huddersfield branch and they seemed very expensive.

Steve Maskery":2erivbq7 said:
Whitmore's at Hinkley have huge stock. You do have to book a buying slot, and if you choose to select your own boards they will charge you more than if you are happy to have them "as they rise". That's because they have to employ someone to stand about whilst you make your mind up :) But they are good.
S
+1 for Whitmores. If you want oak they know their stuff

Steve Maskery":3k5tx7xl said:
S

+1

Back