Killing Fields 2012

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so once it's injured maybe the humane thing is to kill the horse, although I'm still not totally convinced.

Perhaps the real problem is putting the horses in a position so that they will injure themselves so badly.
The jockeys have a choice and understand the consequences of an accident.
The horse maybe have a choice to run but they certainly cannot understand that they are putting themselves in danger by jumping these enormous obstacles, something which surely does not come naturally to them.

This may help you understand...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Fw&cad=rja

...yes! As I stated earlier, it's the fences. On the National they are much higher than used elsewhere. During competition events, like Horse of the Year, the fences grew higher and higher in an attempt to reduce the number of 'clear rounds' till they became dangerous and other steps had to be taken.
In the wild, or in a large enough field, a horse will go around an obstacle if it can, a fact used in corralling wild horses, but they will jump if they have to. It is that fact which is used to train them to jump.
Reducing the number of horses running and lowering some of the fences would go a long way to reducing the damage to horses in the National. Even if the snimal clears these high fences it can still be lamed if the 'going' is hard 'cos of the impact on landing.
The daft thing about the National is the fact that it is a dangerous event that makes winning it so prized!

Roy.

Wrong there Blister I'm afraid. This year they have raised the down course side of Beecher's Brook to improve safety, also people compete in races where they have to pay to enter.
The National, like the Derby, would have a full field even if the owners had to pay, they are the Olympics of Flat adn Steeplechase.
The fact that people are concerned is no surprise, some people would have the human race confined to permanent cotton wool wrappings if they could.

Roy.

I don't have anything to do with racing or with horses, and I don't gamble. So as far as the Grand National goes, I'm essentially disinterested - it wouldn't really affect me one way or the other if it ran or it didn't.

However, I am getting heartily sick of people going around wanting to ban or modify other people's pastimes on the grounds that they don't really like them. I can't help thinking that we'd all get on a bit better if we just allowed other people to get on with life their way, as long as it didn't have too much detriment to the common good or the neighbours.

It's rather hard to see how some of those making critical comments about the Grand National - which is supposed to be an extreme test, that's why it's so highly prized - are affected, directly or indirectly. Perhaps they should learn something about horses, horsemanship and racing, and why the people who follow it do so.

What else do they want to ban? Car rallying, on the grounds that participants and spectators are sometimes injured or killed? Meat-eating, on the grounds that nobody asked the animals? Pest control, on the grounds of cruelty to cockroaches?

If you don't like the Grand National, go and do something else instead. Leave it for those that do. And think on - it wasn't long ago that a serious proposal was put forward to register all owners of small lathes, on the grounds that they could be used to manufacture firearms or ammunition (I am not making this up).

If you ban their pastime, they might come for yours next.

I don't care about the national either particularly, but I cannot see how can be right to just gain enjoyment from deliberately putting animals in danger. It's not as though I even like horses particularly... :roll:

+ 1!

I no longer ride, I have no interest in racing, I don't support Bookies! But it would be nice if anti this or that tried it first.
I read an article in the press before the hunting ban where a virulent 'anti' was persuded to ride to Hounds.
He had the courage to admit later that he had had a wonderful time!

Roy.

but I cannot see how can be right to just gain enjoyment from deliberately putting animals in danger.

They don't. Like those who fall off a cliff whilst climbing they simply don't believe it will happen to them.
An Italian footballer died on the pitch on Saturday, the team hasn't reported any resignations amongst the players.

Roy.

My wife calls me Spock Pete 'cos she hates me being logical, but we are an illogical people. Hundreds of horses are killed in the UK every year by drivers, we say nothingwe, hundreds of horses are exported to Europe to be slaughtered for food, we say nothing, 2 die in a race and we go mad!

Roy.

Digit":2bbualj4 said:
+ 1!

I no longer ride, I have no interest in racing, I don't support Bookies! But it would be nice if anti this or that tried it first.
I read an article in the press before the hunting ban where a virulent 'anti' was persuded to ride to Hounds.
He had the courage to admit later that he had had a wonderful time!

Roy.

Roy, most who I have known that have ridden after a fox have had a wonderful time. It's the poor ruddy fox that gets a bit peed off with being chased to death and torn to bits by dogs. Oh, while on the subject, they seen to have decanted to a bit West of us. Complete with red jackets..

Fishing priest. I made one as a commision a while back

Fishingpriest.jpg

I have eaten horse. Tastes like beef steak, but a bit sweeter. Nice meat!!

fox that gets a bit peed off with being chased to death

Agreed, but I doubt they're very happy about being shot or trapped either, which is what is happening now of course.
I've never ridden to Hounds but I've ridden across country and it's also a great way to get about on the lanes.
There was a pro jockey on TV last night arguing that the fences should be raised to slow the field, he may be right but I have to say that that does not equate with my experience.
I'm surprised about the Priest, most anglers of course do not eat their catch. In my early teens my dad was often out of work during the winter, he was on the buildings, and I poached on Lord Lyle's estate, (yes gov it were me!)
Trout, Grayling, Rabbits, Duck eggs, Pheasants. I got caught twice but got away with a thick ear 'cos of my age on the first occasion but on the second occasion I was shot!

Roy.

The guy is a game fisherman I believe. Plus this being France they eat anything they catch, including the fish they take out of the Canal du Midi :mrgreen: All through the summer, when it decides to stop being winter, there are several hundred 'Tupperware tubs' full of holiday makers and those boats DON'T have holding tanks. Just sea toilets and everything goes out of the boat, if you get my drift. It never smells because there is a flow of about 2 mph from the operation of the locks, but I wouldn't eat anything that had been in there!!!

I used to 'angle' for coarse fish. One day I recall, I was fishing for pike, and a 2 lb perch took the lure. Did the perch no good at all, so I could hardly put that back. So it went into the pan at home. Tasted as good as any trout I ever ate, and 'twern't so bony either! :)

Jonzjob":2ti025vf said:
Sold in restaurants here, just look for perche. Not too much rocket science needed eh?? Not tried it but intend to.

I suppose there are places in the UK where you can buy it. (Which reminds me, a local Restaurateur once bought a nice pike off me for a fiver; paid for the day's fishing back then.) But I suppose if I want to eat perch again, I'll have to find a friendly angler or become a reborn! :D

Jonzjob":28kmku5j said:
Sold in restaurants here, just look for perche. Not too much rocket science needed eh?? Not tried it but intend to.

I suppose there are places in the UK where you can buy it. (Which reminds me, a local Restaurateur once bought a nice pike off me for a fiver; paid for the day's fishing back then.) But I suppose if I want to eat perch again, I'll have to find a friendly angler or become a reborn! :D

Back