Killing Fields 2012

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well put it this way Andy, stop racing and horses will become an endangered species, and in my experience some horses run 'cos they seem to like it. It's the fences that are the problem generally, horses aren't actually natural jumpers, they will normally go around an obstruction.

Roy.

doctor Bob":1r44qbtc said:
Blister":1r44qbtc said:
SBJ":1r44qbtc said:

The only fishing I do is some sea fishing

I use big hooks and big bait to stop undersize fish being hooked

Anything I catch that is sizable is kept for eating or freezing

Well thats ok then, if we eat or freeze the dead horses it's not cruel.

Are you French Bob ?

SBJ":3ccq2c4l said:
Blister":3ccq2c4l said:
andycktm":3ccq2c4l said:
Can i be the first to report 2 dead :(
Where does sport end and cruelty take over?

I don't watch it
read about it
bet on it
support it

but I would sign up to have it banned :evil:

All horse racing or just this race?

I can tolerate flat racing but still dont watch it

The Horse has no say in it , forced to compete

The jockey does it for glory and is not forced to do it

The Horse has no say in it , forced to compete

Again, not my experience, the horse is bigger than you, stronger than you and if it doesn't want to move you might just have a problem changing its mind, trust me!

Roy.

Maybe the horse as to hoof print (sign) an agreement saying
"jumping fences that are too high and ditches that are too wide could result in serious injuury or even death" :lol:

Either the horse has to be immobilised for weeks on end or it will die as horses can't hop like dogs do.

Roy.

Blister":pkbbxs7i said:
they shot the horse when it breaks a leg.

Its of no use to them any longer

and would cost to fix

A bullet is a lot cheaper

I think you have been reading the daily mail too long.

You cannot tell a horse to rest its poorly leg. It is crueler to just put it in plaster than to humanely put the animal to sleep

In fairness, it was a cracking race. We all did our cash in our house, although my sons horse was in with a shout until the final 2 fences - he was getting very excited at the thought of £14 in his back pocket! Cant win them all, I guess. Roll on next year.

Tisn't even as simple putting them in plaster, they have normally to be placed in a cage that will support them for the weeks that it takes to heal. A horse that breaks a leg often does not stop running immediately, or it tries to rise. This can do irreperable damage to the leg.
Imagine the damage you would do trying to run with a broken leg.
A mare or stallion with a broken leg that can be mended still has value for stud purposes so killing the animal isn't necessarily 'oh well it will never run again, shoot it!' and walk away.
Also the decision is normally taken by the on course vet, not the owner.

Roy.

I thought that shooting was past and vets now used injections to put horses to sleep and then up the dosage to a fatal amount.

We used to use a leaded device like Mortar called a Priest. You wacked the fish over the head with it.
Back to horses.
Your horse has just fallen part way round the course and broken a fetlock, firstly you have to get to it, by which time it is probably an open fracture. Next you have to sedate the animal then find a way of removing it from the course to a vetinary hospital.
Just consider the practical difficulties involved. People don't destroy race horses for the love of it.

Roy.

Quite, the ones that the vets think can be treated, do you honestly think the owners just shrug their sholders and head for the bar?
Most valuable horses are insured so any killing is, as I pointed out, upto the course vet.
There was a TV programme some weeks ago where a man took a 5 mtre fall and landed badly, the doc said that in a less advanced country the treatment would be amputation, how many 3 legged horses have you seen?

Roy.

Back