Kids & phones, am I getting old?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
It was my eldest sons birthday on Saturday, he was eleven and got his first mobile phone.

To a couple of my msgs he just replied "K", I presumed he had got something wrong as it's a new phone but have since found out "K" is short for OK šŸ§

When did it become necessary to shorten OK to just K, am I missing something or just getting old šŸ˜•

When I was that age our toys were only just moving from clockwork to battery and the thermionic valve had not been challenged by the transistor.

These days the "smart phone" has turned many people including kids into phone zombies who live in a parallel world with no interaction with society or the enviroment, yet they call it social media, at least when I was a kid I had real freinds.

I have a friend who starts his emails with Dear Artie and signs of with Your faithfully.

I don't mind going half way now that phones have a keyboard, but with the old type phone I think I sent exactly one text in the years I had them.

I have been known to use k on occasion

Only because I can't find an abbreviation for it. :).

if we look at the original reason for txt language, it was because of word limits on early mobile phones, I use that as an excuse to write long form text's because now modern smart phones can cope with it, plus it's a good way of trolling mates and winding everyone up, must be a northern humour thing?

When I was that age our toys were only just moving from clockwork to battery and the thermionic valve had not been challenged by the transistor.

These days the "smart phone" has turned many people including kids into phone zombies who live in a parallel world with no interaction with society or the enviroment, yet they call it social media, at least when I was a kid I had real freinds.

Absolutely spot on. Sat on a train a while back. Mother with very young child. Child desperate to have some form of interaction with her mother. So what was the woman doing ? Playing on her bloody smartphone. Yeah, yeah...she could have been taking part in an experiment to get fusion energy. Somehow, I don't think so.

I'm not sure what came first, text speak or horrendous spelling and grammar skills. Me and my friends should of looked it up.

hate texting, takes hours of back and forth just to communicate the same info of one or two minutes of actual speaking.

Agree with the comment above -remember when texts cost money? I do - it was probably 20 years ago, and I couldn't for the life of me understand why people would send each other texts and pay to do it when they could call each other for free.

Now, I'm married. I understand why sometimes it's better to send texts and say you're somewhere that you can't talk!!

but I never send texts with mini words. Hated it back then and still do now. I'm too dumb to talk dumb sometimes and smart others.

Back