Kids and woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

You'll remember Hannah of the birdbox build?

Well, she has moved on now to sharpening :D Yep, sharpening plane irons and chisels using my eclipse jig on the diamond and waterstones. She does a great job once I've set it up and she actually enjoys it :shock:

Yes, enjoys sharpening :shock:

She loves to plane too (sisterhood eh Alf?) but finds it quite hard (she is only 11 and the smallest in her class) but the LN scaper plane is most definitelky her favourite and she uses it for ages

Her latest experiment was sawing on Sunday. I, ahem, bought a new dovetail saw on Saturday (as you do) and she wanted to try. So, after working her way through all of my hand saws, she found that she could cut exactly on the line using my japanese back saw :shock: :shock: I can't do that very well with this saw :?

Moral? get your kids in the workshop and let them 'help' it really is very rewarding :wink:

Sunday must have been a busy day for kids. Borrowed a neighbour's old Sealey lathe to turn some knobs. Jack (10) and Tom(6) helped me bring it into the shop and set it up on a bench. Well, each wanted a go on it so we found some wind blown timber in the garden and each of them had a quick go at turning and both really enjoyed it.
IMG_0031TomLathe.jpg

IMG_0023JackLathe.jpg

Tom and Jack have been helping me in the workshop for a few years and are aware of most of the dangers involved. They were hammering nails and playing in the sawdust since the age of two. Although most of their "help" is restricted to drilling small holes, hand sanding and sawing etc I felt they were capable of spending a few minutes on the lathe especially using a small piece of green timber.
As Tony has mentioned if your kids show an interest in WW a gradual introduction to helping daddy can be very enjoyable for all concerned.

Noel

My daughter (3 years old) used to love being in the workshop with me. Built her a tiny bench for her plastic tools, etc, she would spend ages collecting bits of sawdust and bashing them.
Unfortunately She is now in her "Princess" phase and tools are for boys. She did help me on the weekend a little though-probably hoping I'd get on with a bedside cabinet for her bed....... :roll:
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":384o8qxh said:
Unfortunately She is now in her "Princess" phase and tools are for boys. She did help me on the weekend a little though-probably hoping I'd get on with a bedside cabinet for her bed....... :roll:
Cheers
Philly :D

One of the jobs on Sunday was gluing Hannah's crown - her frined sat on it!!

I have been thinking of letting Han try the lathe and looking at your lovely pictures (with safety glasses!) I will have to give her a turn (geddit <groan>) on it :lol:

Philly":2ke8ve44 said:
tools are for boys.
Pish tush. :roll:

Tell her the one about the Princess in the tower who's evil step-mother had her hair cut very short. So she settled down with drawknife and shaving horse and made herself a ladder... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Noel,

It's great when they want to help out isn't it. I especially love it when they are able to make something that they can then show off to everyone.

BTW, I don't want to tbe a spoilsport, but watch out for those plastic chairs. They can flip over really easily if the weight goes a little too far forwards.

Latest posts

Back