KICKBACK, OUCH THAT HURT!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Having used various sorts of woodworking machines for a good few years now, i thought, at least safety wise, that i knew the score. Then yesterday i was taught a valuable lesson, that will not only see me off work for a few days, but is also very painful.

I was always told that when using a table saw, planer/thicknesser etc etc to stand to one side so that if there was a kickback i would not be standing in the way of a 200 mph timber missile that was trying to escape through the workshop wall. But yesterday :oops: :oops: while sizing up some spalted beech i was talking to SWMBO and not taking notice of what i was doing when all of a sudden some of the timber cut loose and tried to take a shortcut through my stomach #-o #-o . Luckily enough it only hit me in the side but i still needed 27 stitches.

So be careful out there and take notice of what you are doing ALL of the time because one lapsed of concentration could cost you dearly.

Regards

Woody

Woody,

27 stitches :tongue9: that is some serious needle work, glad your able to tell the tale. 8-[

Take care out there, as everyone else is out to get you, you don't need to try. :roll: :wink:

Hey Woody, close call, hope it heals real quick. And, as you mention, it can happen to the best of us.

Rgds

Noel
PS, what did your wife say when this happened?

Noel she always claims that she faints at the sight of blood, so she freaked out and screamed for all of a second, grabbed my mobile and the first aid kit, and according to the doctor (THANKFULLY) stopped me doing a lot of damage by pulling the wood out of the wound. What a great girl.

Regards

Woody

Woody,

That is rotten news - glad you sound to be as okay as you can be with 27 stitches.

Hope you are fully recovered soon.

Cheers

Tim

Woody - yikes! Tea and sympathies. If you get a chance, any further details might help someone avoid the same thing: did standing to one side actually lessen the injury? Were you (ahem) using all the/any guards? Don't answer if it's all too embarrassing, but the more we know, the safer we all are.. :(

Sincerely sorry to hear of the accident. Make a speedy recovery.

Do you stand to the left or right hand side of the table?

The reason I ask is I'm right handed and I have my table saw fence on the left hand side of the blade. However I notice in lots of photographs the fence is quite often to the right of the blade and that does not seem the best way to me.

Hope you dont mind the discussion if any on your thread.

Woody, sorry to hear about the damage, 27 stitches :shock: thats a lot!!

I think we would all like a full accident report so that we can hopefully avoid something similar happening in the future.

Strange that every time I have had an accident, or a near miss :roll: , I have had someone with me or someone walked into the workshop, one moments lapse of concentration is all it takes.

Hope you get well soon.

Keith

Woody
Sorry to hear tthat, sounds nasty.
At least you will soon have some plans to read while recovering!
Regards
Martin
PS: Any bloodstained beech going cheap....?

I hope for a speed recovery and you will then get straight "back on the horse".

I'm sure we'd all appreciate learning more in order to prevent a similar accident.

Where you using the table saw or planer/thicknesser? I could tell from your post.

If thicknesser.... does it have an anti-kickback device?

If the saw bench, was the riving knife in place?

Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure most of us have made mistakes. I could tell you a story or two about my Axminster BL80 linisher (sander) and several layers of skin on my fingers!

Back