Kerto - Never again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd

Established Member
Reaction score
After 6 weeks of pens and bottle stoppers and with a quiet day to myself I put off tidying the workshop to turn a lump of Kerto. My daughter persuaded me to buy this a the good timber sale earlier in the year because it looked "pretty".
Well its horrible cheap plywood full of voids and loose bits. It was very dusty to hollow and did blunt the tools quickly.
Getting a decent finish was hard work too starting with 60grit :oops: paper and lots of it.
The voids that I couldn't avoid (sorry :wink: ) I filled with some powdered brass wich turned out ok
Anyway it ended up like this.
kerto.jpg

I'm not too taken with it but my daughter loves it :p

cd

cd":24htfx3b said:
...major snip...
I'm not too taken with it but my daughter loves it :p

cd

Well you achieved the ultimate, customer satisfaction. Congratulations on achieving an acceptable finish.

But like you I fail to see any real attraction with something that despite all the attention to finish and form still registers with me as 'Industrial Plywood', perhaps it is my limited appreciation of Art but I cannot bring myself to drool over the stuff with the same enthusiasm as solid wood.

I was amazed at the Good Timber open day to see people almost fighting to select pieces of the stuff at the time we walked past the bin.

I have seen something like that here in Canada as well. The product used was "Dura-Lam". It is made of large chips of wood glued under pressure.

In my mind it is ugly as sin to work with, hard on tools because of all the glue, dusty and dangerous. Having said that, there seems to be a sub culture here that loves the stuff!

You have managed to beat that chunk into submission and as long as the customer is happy ...

Happy New Year All

Tom

I used something like that in a club i refurbed . The stuff i had was called Paralam again made of wood chips all facing in the same direction and glued together . It was supposed to be able to take the same stresses as steel and they could make it in very long lenghths to span a large area instead of using steel . I used it to face the bar and as stool tops . I like it myself and think its made a great looking bowl . :D

Back