Kerfing??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I made two headboards for the wife from some designer book that were to be covered in padding and fabric. I have just completed the bedside table and used some dado rail to finish it of. SWMBO when decided that the headboard now is not going to be padded but painted. Out with the planner as I had just used saw timber as a backing to get the headboard looking thicker. Much filling and sanding later it was ready to paint. I am now informed that the dado rail has to go around the edge of the headboard.Can I do it by kerfing the dado?? Would it be better to say cut pine to the shape and find a number of router bits to cut it.

Bedhead.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help

If you intend to follow all the curves then they will be much too tight for kerfing.

I would cut some pine with the grain running tangentally to the curve and mitre at each intersection and glue/joint together but don't fix to the headboard.

Next shape the outside to follow the curves with a bandsaw/jigsaw and then cut parallel to this edge by the width of your moulding. Clean up the edges so they are nice and smooth then use a series of bearing guided bits to cut your profile.

Jason

Back