KeithS Makes the front cover of The Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Congratulations to Keith (KeithS/Woodsmith), or should that be commiseration, on making it to the front cover of The Woodworker.

Well done Keith, I haven't read all of the article yet but it looks excellent.

Cheers
Neil

Does that mean I have to spend money to buy the Woodworker to see you Keith?
I have a better idea.
You have my email address from the novoserve forum so can send an autographed photo embedded or attached to an email.
I need a new dart board. :twisted:

Thank you Neil, I hope you enjoy the articles and look forward to your posts, for more details, when you start construction.

Dewy there has been an unprecedented stampede for copies and they have no dart boards left for sale in the UK. I can arrange a special delivery from Holland :wink:

Hi Keith,

Nice article, and a very nice greenhouse. Seems a shame to take excellent work like that and fill it with plants instead of tools, but there you go... :).

I was curious about the need for planning permission, though. Could you elucidate? Was it the brick footing, the size or what?

Hi Pete, it's called keeping SWMBO happy.

As for planning consent, my house is Listed so I need Listed Building Consent for almost everything I do, and they are very strict.

They told me I needed Planning Permission and it appears most greenhouses and even sheds should have PP but most people don't bother. As you can see I had a lot to loose if they made me take it down. My local coucil have a form especially for garden buildings which explains if you need permission or not.

It was a pain though, cost about £100 (can't remember exactly) and I had to provide them with samples of all the materials used although that was possibly due to being Listed.

Keith

I'm glad to see that, for once, Keith hasn't used V****sh but oiled the greenhouse.

You've made WOLF a happy man.
I didn't know you were taking over The Woodworker this month.
You hardly left room for anything else in this issue. hehe

P.S. Did you use tung oil because the planners insisted on it?

Dewy, I thought you didn't want to spend any money on your new dartboard.

Tung oil is the best treatment for oak outdoors, only problem it has no UV filters so the wood will age, which for my situation is an advantage. I do use linseed oil though on my timber framed wood store.

Planners :evil:

Keith

Hi, Keith,

Saw the article advertised in last month's mag. and couldn't wait for this month's issue.

What a superb greenhouse/cold frame! The article, too, was excellent. I have read it closely and it is certainly one of the best descriptions of a project I have seen - with every 'need to know' aspect explained and illustrated perfectly clearly (even the oil/silicone mix!) with appropriate reminders along the way. I don't have a greenhouse at present (have been considering an Alton cedar) and thoughts are starting to develop :roll: - then SWMBO says, "Why not build a replacement oak conservatory in that style." :shock: Now that would cost her some machinery that I haven't got yet!

Cheers, Trev.

Let's give you some competition Keith.
Here is Norms greenhouse that uses no glass. He used sheets of twin wall polycarbonate. (ouch, expensive) http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?911
It also took him 2 episodes instead of 12 magazine pages. :wink:
Naturally, he wants to sell the instructions and video instead of showing all stages in a mag.

Nice comparison, Dewy. :wink:

I know which one I prefer - and not too impressed with Norm's knowledge of greenhouse gardening from his @Description@ :roll:

Trev.

Thanks Trev, for your kind reply, I have been encouraged by some of the posts here to include more detail in my articles and am glad you thought I had explained the details thoroughly. I aimed the project at the very experienced end of the spectrum otherwise I could have written a book. :)

It cost about £2500, which I thought was pretty good when you look what sort of timber greenhouse you can buy for that sort of money. So often with furniture projects you can go to a furniture store and buy the article for less than the cost of the wood, but not this time.

Last year we went to the Axminster show, Mrs W bought a bandsaw and told me I could have it if I built the greenhouse, she said something about putting customers first :roll: . So perhaps you could try that with SWMBO. :D

Keith

I hope you havent caught Neil's disease Keith especially when you can stayed logged in automatically by checking the box & allowing the cookie in.
Now you're going to tell me that you don't stay logged in on the other forum either. lol

KeithS":3tkr0u6e said:
my house is Listed so I need Listed Building Consent for almost everything I do

Thanks for the info, Keith. Is it just my imagination or is every pre-1950s house in the country listed? Seems like it whenever I peruse the country property pages.

Back