Keeping warm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":1afaho69 said:
My friend years ago had a boxer puppy that used to do that when someone said "What do the ladies in Plymouth do?" :D

Don't be stupid.................

There are no ladies in Plymouth. :mrgreen:

Wall mounted fan heater, but when the lathe has been running a while it is a huge cast iron hand warmer. thinking of getting a tube heater to keep the chill out of my 50 plus year old wooden garage.

The best investment I made was installing two storage heaters, insulation and carpet tiles. I can work comfortably in a jumper.

Sorry.

The house we built is double wall and is warm and cozy. The shop is above the garage is 2x6 (38x89mm actual) construction (24'x28'x10' /7.3x8.5x3 in size) with fibreglass bat between the studs. A hot water radiator of roughly 400x400x 90 with fan keeps it at room temperature when it is -20 during the day and -40 at night. At some point I may pull down the inside OSB wall panels and add a second wall with more insulation but probably not. Prefer to buy more tools. :) You guys need to figure out how to get more insulation and seal up the air leaks so next winter you can enjoy working in there all the time. At least you don't have winters like this one often. Here it is expected.

Pee\te

Bodgers":1rd93xdl said:
Wow. Where are you living where its -40 at night? The North Pole?

I am in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. The middle of the Prairies. It doesn't get much above freezing if at all from the end of October until later in March.

I usually get on alright in my unheated workshop with thermal overalls a work jacket and a hat but today it is so cold in there that I haven't bothered.

Im nearly as far north as you can get and i have a panasonic air to air heat pump 20 degree,s in the workshop yesterday and runs on next to nothing, magic

I did 6 hours straight in a cradle cleaning windows on wednesday. I've been colder in my life but maybe only once or twice. The Columbian lad I was with was in bits. Nearly in tears. I wasn't a lot better tbh. Bit older, bit more used to it.
Hands in a bucket of water, holding brass tools and holding onto anodised metal sheeting. Burning fingers. Acute pain. Roll on summer.
On a brighter note I've been up in the loft conversion painting in the warm the last two days. Never have I been so grateful to be painting. Music on, radiators on, cheeky cider or three. (There's no RAMS when it's your own gaff).
Love it. And I hate painting generally.
In weather like this I'm glad I had some holiday left. :D

nothing like a couple or 3 ciders to aid recovery..................and improve painting speed/ability i find. Just had a couple of aspell's organic in the name of medicine.

Inspector":1k2y9hmo said:
Bodgers":1k2y9hmo said:
Wow. Where are you living where its -40 at night? The North Pole?

I am in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. The middle of the Prairies. It doesn't get much above freezing if at all from the end of October until later in March.
Nice. Several years ago my family went through the process to get permanent residency in Canada, but we didn't move due to concerns of the ressession at the time. Glad we didn't choose Saskatoon to live ;)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Toegraf":1xj6b5ok said:
I see you have a wood burner.
Can I ask how tall your chimney is please?

My woodburner was professionally installed and building inspected as part of a new workshop build. At a guess I'd say the chimney is about 2 metres above the roof.

Wood-Burner.jpg

Woodburner-2.jpg

Incidentally, for the past couple of days the woodburner wasn't powerful enough to bring the workshop temperature above the 15 degrees Centigrade required for UF glues. This happens once or twice every winter, but if I had a bigger woodburner then on milder winter days the workshop would be too hot to work comfortably. You pays your money and you makes your choice...

Attachments

• Wood-Burner.jpg
    Wood-Burner.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Woodburner-2.jpg
    Woodburner-2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 94
Drever00":1v88ciw4 said:
Im nearly as far north as you can get and i have a panasonic air to air heat pump 20 degree,s in the workshop yesterday and runs on next to nothing, magic

Looks like the cheapest one is around £1K and at 2.5Kwh will be costing around £3 for 6 hours. Maybe my concept of next to nothing is a bit different to yours :)

We have the same system in our 4 bed house only bigger works a treat and when it hits the set tempreture runs on very little energy,and works down to -15 degree,s ootside

I was given a in 125 000 btu industrial gas space heater a couple of years ago it heats my 700 sq foot workshop to 20 degrees in less than 5 mins i then maintain the heat with a electric fan heater works a treat

Latest posts

Back