keen pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnc chris

Reaction score
good evening,after lots of searching i came across this site.been looking for a project for a while i came home from the Newark auto jumble with this.paid £30 which i know is probably too much but i bought for the fun of restoring and getting some piece and quiet from the Mrs while in the garage in two minds as to whether i do a Hollywood resto ( polished and painted bling or a factory resto )only issue with a factory resto is matching the paint.
having worked with manual lathes /milling machines and in the past a cnc setter i can appreciate the skill required to produce such a drill even something as simple as the post that sits in the base as a smooth sliding fit with no slop

No picture but a Google showed the type that you mean. I think you paid about the right money.

I have a similar model that I used before getting an electric one a few weeks ago. Really handy machines, I am lothe to sell mine even though I have a "proper" one now.

IMG_20200126_164058266.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_164058266.jpg
    IMG_20200126_164058266.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 321
Very useful machine. Decent accuracy plus hands-on control.

To add to your options, you could just give it a clean and lubrication and stabilise the finish. That's what I did with mine:

nice-new-bench-drill-t80666.html

That looks in nice enough condition that just a clean and lube could see it in fine working order. Course this doesn't keep you in the garage for very long :D

With care the paint flecks on the red can be removed without damage to the underlying red. Sometimes they'll flick off fairly easily using a sharpish edge of hard plastic or wood. Warming first with a hair drier can help. Application of white spirit (which you'll probably be cleaning with anyway) can sometimes weaken the hold of paint flecks to old enamel enough that they'll just yield to fingernail pressure, possibly even wipe off with a coarse cloth but that's being optimistic.

cnc chris":2plbkmbu said:
...only issue with a factory resto is matching the paint.
Colour or type?

If you do much more than just clean it and get it ready for use, please for the love of God don't sand the handle, oil once with BLO and call it done! Sorry, virtually every tool restorer on YT is doing this and I'm a bit traumatised by it :lol:

Back