• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Katz Moses dovetail guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of them, I bought them direct from him, there is a link on the youtube page to his shop. The shipping was reasonable and it arrived quite fast considering.
My quick review is that they are very good, it is nice to have the straight cutting guide on the same block, I also have a David Barron aluminium one which is very good but lacks the straight cut. I have stuck a bit of self adhesive sandpaper on the lower part to aid with holding it in place. It was quite slippery before as its perspex and very smooth. Overall, great tools that speed up dovetailing for those not doing every day like Rob Cosman.

Ollie

I have a pair of them, I bought them direct from him, there is a link on the youtube page to his shop. The shipping was reasonable and it arrived quite fast considering.
My quick review is that they are very good, it is nice to have the straight cutting guide on the same block, I also have a David Barron aluminium one which is very good but lacks the straight cut. I have stuck a bit of self adhesive sandpaper on the lower part to aid with holding it in place. It was quite slippery before as its perspex and very smooth. Overall, great tools that speed up dovetailing for those not doing every day like Rob Cosman.

Ollie
Thank you for your very helpful and self explanatory response. I am alright with current dovetail on small pieces but I need to cut few for my wardrobe project. Very bad angle as I have to lay the planks on the bench and sit down to cut dovetails. This COVID situation has caused disturbances of postal services from over the pond.

Seyed

If you need one quicker perhaps the David Barron one might be available or Veritas do one, or you could make your own, I remember seeing a guide once in Furniture and Cabinetmaker magazine I think.

Ollie

Thank you for your very helpful and self explanatory response. I am alright with current dovetail on small pieces but I need to cut few for my wardrobe project. Very bad angle as I have to lay the planks on the bench and sit down to cut dovetails. This COVID situation has caused disturbances of postal services from over the pond.

Seyed

I bought a Lie Nielsen chisel direct from the factory about 2-3 weeks ago. Took a week for it posting from Maine to UK. Was charged £12 import duties and £8 by Royal Mail for collecting the taxes!! So in my experience, the postage from the US was fine.

Oh and I'm another one who bought direct from Katz Moses too - no problems there either, but it was about 12-18 months ago.

I am a big fan of KM. If you don't know his backstory, have a look.
I bought one of the guides about a year ago but have not used it (yet).

I am a big fan of KM. If you don't know his backstory, have a look.
I bought one of the guides about a year ago but have not used it (yet).
I tried reading about him but Katz Moses search brought out someone totally different.
would you know where I can find more about him?
Regards

I bought a Lie Nielsen chisel direct from the factory about 2-3 weeks ago. Took a week for it posting from Maine to UK. Was charged £12 import duties and £8 by Royal Mail for collecting the taxes!! So in my experience, the postage from the US was fine.

Oh and I'm another one who bought direct from Katz Moses too - no problems there either, but it was about 12-18 months ago.
Hi Fezman

that’s great. May I ask how many chisels did you buy? I was trying to calculate the import duty and postage charge.

I bought just the one LN chisel. The cost , postage and import fees meant it was about £15 more than the price here (before the prices went up). But when i bought it, they were like hens teeth in the UK.

Back