Katsu sparking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
My little Katsu trimmer started sparking inside the motor housing this morning together with a very faint smell. Needles to say I stopped!

Is it worth changing the brushes (which is what I assume the problem is), or is it time for a replacement?

It’s been amazingly useful and has had no end of use, so owes me nothing.

Thanks

Nah. I had a wunnerful old B&D drill that had fireworks night inside the casing when working breeze blocks. Did it for years until the gearbox packed in.
That said, if you ARE getting a strong ozone odour, changing the brushes is probably on the cards. I've done my DW625e and it was a frustratingly fiddly, but 'doable' 40 minute job. My chipolata fingers didn't help.

Sam

Edit: "Needles to say "....gotta lurve autospell... :D

the Katsu comes with a spare set doesn't it?
swap them out and clean the commutator (the bit the brushs run on) while your at it. a little bit of isoproypl alcohol and an ear bud through the brush hole should do it.

Yup. Just don't swipe emery paper etc round it "to clean off carbon deposits" according to urban myth... The metal dust will make the shorting out look like the Northern Lights!!

Sam

Back