Katsu router - not "good vibrations"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good link, I especially like the following comments:

"While it's possible to remove the cover, this doesn't make the Triton a good hand-held router because now it's dangerous. It wouldn't be that hard to accidently press the rocker switch while picking it up. So, if you have to use the Triton outside the table, DON'T REMOVE THE COVER. If you need a router for both hand-held and table use, get a different router with a sensible power switch.

As a dedicated table router, however, the Triton really shines. Built-in above-the-table bit changes and height adjustments, plus an auto-locking spindle are as well-done as the power switch is badly-done. But that power switch is, once again, a major pain when the Triton is table-mounted.

First of all, as clumsy as it is to use out of the table, the switch is even more irksome when trying to operate it under the table. The easy answer, of course, is a separate power switch outside the table. Just leave router's power switch on all the time and use the external switch, right?

Wrong. The router spindle won't come all the way up and auto-lock if the power switch is on. Which is a perfectly sensible design decision, after all you don't want the auto-lock popping into the spindle when it's spinning at 6000 rpm. However, it means having to fumble with that stupid switch again every time you want to do a bit change.

There is a solution, though. But let me emphasize again, this modification makes your router less safe. By removing the interlock, you can now raise the spindle into the lock position while it's running or start the router while it's locked if you forget to lower it first. I don't think it's likely, because a) it's pretty darn obvious the router is running, who would decide to raise the spindle for a bit change and not turn off the router? And b) who would decide to start the router without adjusting the bit to the right height for their workpiece? Nonetheless, the danger is there and you need to be aware that this modification makes these very dangerous accidents possible. Modify at your own risk."

As a router designed to be used in a table it's not a good option, using a dedicated lift and a muscle chuck is so much easier and safer, OK it's a more expensive option, but safer and makes life much better in the workshop, my Triton gave up after three months use, the Hitachi I put in a dedicated router lift has been going for over seven years without a hiccup, you pays your monies and take the choice, but you should only have to do it once by learning from others mistakes.

They're all fair points. Mine plugs into a table mounted double socket with a shop vac in the other, both controlled by a NVR switch. Whether it's anywhere near as good as using the manufactured lifts I don't know but, it's far better than my home made one was.

I found with any of the above table router's if I did not get under the table and lock the thing once set to it's height the router drifted once turning, the dedicated lifts have an above table lock which prevents this from happening, a real pain if you are going to be routing quite a few lengths, I tried two Tritons and a Trend before I decided enough and got a dedicated lift, I would never have anything else now, do look at the MuscleChuck it's makes bit changes so easy as well.

Back