Katsu router and different cutter sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I have a Katsu trim router (the Makita rip-off) - excellent little tool - takes 1/4" cutters. I have been given about 5 cutters which turn out to be 6mm shank (i.e. about 0.3mm smaller than 1/4") which obviously don't fit the router.

Anyone with experience of different collets for the Katsu ? - they seem to be available on Aliexpress or Banggood and Amazon but with unclear specifications - or shall I just discard the small cutters?

They work fine. I think I have 6mm, 1/4", 8mm and 3/8" in my set. I only have 6mm and 1/4" bits at the moment but though I might as well get the full set, it was only a few £'s.

They work fine. I think I have 6mm, 1/4", 8mm and 3/8" in my set. I only have 6mm and 1/4" bits at the moment but though I might as well get the full set, it was only a few £'s.

Ah, that's useful to know - I also have a random 8mm shank that was deliverd to me by mistake that I never expected to use.

Do you recall where you bought the collets please?

I have a Katsu trim router (the Makita rip-off) - excellent little tool - takes 1/4" cutters. I have been given about 5 cutters which turn out to be 6mm shank (i.e. about 0.3mm smaller than 1/4") which obviously don't fit the router.

Anyone with experience of different collets for the Katsu ? - they seem to be available on Aliexpress or Banggood and Amazon but with unclear specifications - or shall I just discard the small cutters?
Try AIM Tools Ltd for Katsu parts.

Ah, that's useful to know - I also have a random 8mm shank that was deliverd to me by mistake that I never expected to use.

Do you recall where you bought the collets please?

It was either ebay or amazon, the seller was the same though, Aim Tools who are the main seller of the Katsu. I bought myself a complete kit, router, all the bases (except the offset, that wasn't out then) and a set of collets. Their customer service is good too, one of the bases was damaged and they replaced it no problem at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SP10174814...1&keywords=katsu+collet&qid=1628337007&sr=8-3
There you go, I think it has gone up a quid since I bought it.

There is also a metric only set that includes a 10mm collet. I am not sure if that might be the same as the 3/8" as they are very close in size. As I said, I only have 6mm and 1/4" at the moment and I have seen 8mm in the wild but never 3/8" or 10mm so I am not too worried there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KATSU-Rout.../B07R24DKDK/ref=psdc_1939178031_t1_B01H3NTKN4
It would be nice if they did a 5mm so you could use the router for shelf pin holes. I am thinking of using my lathe to modify a drill bit just for this job though.

Personally, I would not use the 6mm cutters simply to avoid having both 6mm and 1/4 in the same workshop. One will be too big for the collet, the other will grip to some degree in the wrong collet but not safely.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SP10174814...1&keywords=katsu+collet&qid=1628337007&sr=8-3
There you go, I think it has gone up a quid since I bought it.

There is also a metric only set that includes a 10mm collet. I am not sure if that might be the same as the 3/8" as they are very close in size. As I said, I only have 6mm and 1/4" at the moment and I have seen 8mm in the wild but never 3/8" or 10mm so I am not too worried there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KATSU-Rout.../B07R24DKDK/ref=psdc_1939178031_t1_B01H3NTKN4
It would be nice if they did a 5mm so you could use the router for shelf pin holes. I am thinking of using my lathe to modify a drill bit just for this job though.

Excellent - just added that to my Amazon basket waiting for another item to get me over the £20 free delivery threshold.

On the 6 vs 1/4" point - agree, but the 6mm cutters were free and have a couple of profiles/sizes I don't have in 1/4" - and they're a different paint colour so easy to spot.

My little Katsu is just great but one thing I rather regret was not buying the tilting base that was just a few pounds more when I bought the router a few years ago, I dindnt want a plunge base and have never wanted one but I think the tilting one might have been useful, does anyone use one/opinions?
Steve.

It is bloody useful if you want to have a specific bevel angle, especially when used in conjunction with an angled bit 30/45/60. I have used them to get nice neat joints when things are very out of true for mouldings and metal inlays etc and scarf joints on occasion. I have 3 of the little beggers; 1 in a small table, 1 in a plunge base and 1 in the angle base

It is bloody useful if you want to have a specific bevel angle, especially when used in conjunction with an angled bit 30/45/60. I have used them to get nice neat joints when things are very out of true for mouldings and metal inlays etc and scarf joints on occasion. I have 3 of the little beggers; 1 in a small table, 1 in a plunge base and 1 in the angle base

Funnily enough I have never used the tilting base. One day I am sure I will be glad I have it but for now I have only used plunge and standard base.

Back