Karndean flooring, removal and replacement?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a large under stair bookcase to make and fit for a customer. Where the bookcase is going there used to be a fake fireplace with hearth, when the hearth was removed it has left a small gap in the Karndean flooring which the bookcase won't cover. Of course the flooring runs at 90 degrees to the old hearth so I need to take up a few bits of flooring and replace them with longer ones.

The customer has sourced some matching flooring and has convinced me that it is within my capabilities to replace the few bits needed.

Anyone got any experience of taking this stuff up and refitting it? I was hoping a heat gun will help me get the pieces up and some contact adhesive will stick the new pieces down?

Am I on the right lines or is there more to it than that?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

I think it depends which Karndean adhesive has been used as some, possibly the majority, can be 'softened' using a heat gun (or hairdryer) but some can't. I think that, unless you know which adhesive was used, the only way you'll find out is by trying it - you don't need to get the vinyl particularly hot for the adhesive to revert to its 'tacky' state.

Use proper Karndean adhesive, the pressure sensitive one is easy to work with. Normal contact adhesive can cause some sort of reaction with the polymers in the Karndean. If your customer wants you to do the job tell them that it needs the correct adhesive and get them to pay for it. Leave it 24-48 hours to fully set before putting furniture/bookcases on it.

Try not to get any bits of debris into the adhesive under the Karndean, it only takes small pieces to create a bump in the vinyl which soon become obvious shiny high spots - the debris can also cause an edge to lift.

Last edited:
Like perrygunn said.
Firstly try to find out who laid it and ask which adhesive was used. The adhesive spreaders are very fine, most tiling places will have them. I needed one in a hurry on a sunday and made one from an old jack handsaw! I cut off 8", ground the teeth down so the gullet was about 1.5 / 2mm. Worked ok.....
You may need to clean off the old adhesive from the substrate and possibly seal it ( if its laid on latex for instance , and i think we used sealer on ply? ) its been a long time since i fitted it last

I have a large under stair bookcase to make and fit for a customer. Where the bookcase is going there used to be a fake fireplace with hearth, when the hearth was removed it has left a small gap in the Karndean flooring which the bookcase won't cover. Of course the flooring runs at 90 degrees to the old hearth so I need to take up a few bits of flooring and replace them with longer ones.

The customer has sourced some matching flooring and has convinced me that it is within my capabilities to replace the few bits needed.

Anyone got any experience of taking this stuff up and refitting it? I was hoping a heat gun will help me get the pieces up and some contact adhesive will stick the new pieces down?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Doug
Hi There,
As another member stated use pressure sensitive adhesive. A karndean stockist advised me of another brand of adhesive that was manufactured by the same one who made it for Karndean. I laid a small hall and toilet and it went down fine. Used a stanley knife to cut the flooring. If the new flooring needs to but up to a moulding such as a complicated architrave you may find it easier to used a multi cutter to allow the flooring to go under the moulding. It wasn't as daunting as I imagined it was going to be. It turned out quite easy. Just be careful not to kneel on freshly laid flooring as it will move out of position until the adhesive has set.

Good look.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Doug
,,if you make a success of that, better get a job as a floorlayer,, best of luck buddy,, your problem will be getting those bits level,,

Latest posts

Back