(K)nickers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONGER

Established Member
Reaction score
I recall having seen a shoulder plane with (k)nickers... but I am damned if I can find it again. I recall it was from a contemporary manufacturer... and the nickers were of a funny wheel variety... any hints? I would have guessed LN?

-gerard-

Yup Philly... thassit... selective blindness... I will have to go back to the Jameson!

Now... ULMIA offer a wooden 'fillester' plane...

Falzhobel.jpg

... which has a nicker. Is there a metal equivalent to this plane?

The data sheet for the ULMIA plane is at: http://www.ulmia.de/English/Downloads/15.PDF

-gerard-

A rebate plane such as the Stanley #78 / Recrd #078 or the much better Record #778 /Woden #A78 would do the job and they have nickers both sides

record-778-rebate-plane.jpg

The better design has two fence rods which stops the fence from loosening in use (and they really do)

Scrit

CONGER":nxa6c8hd said:
...Now... ULMIA offer a wooden 'fillester' plane...

Falzhobel.jpg

... which has a nicker. Is there a metal equivalent to this plane?
-gerard-
Hi Gerard,

fwiw, having all of the above planes at some point in time, and still having all except the Stanley/Record examples and the Ulmia, I still find myself reaching for a wood moving fillister more often. For anything involving heavy removal, I use the LN bench rabbet Marc shows.

Most of the vintage moving fillisters I have run across have a skewed blade, which I find beneficial for cross grain applications.

m_fillister1.jpg

m_fillister2.jpg

Take care, Mike

MarcW":3d34ioyy said:
You could use a Jack Rabbet too. It has no fence yet, but a clamped batten will do.
I wouldn't regard a #10 or #10-1/2 as suitable for the task in most cases as they are too big and clumsy to work anything but a large rebate. Main use I've found for them is cleaning up joinery-size shoulders and tenon cheeks

Scrit

CONGER":2tyxx48m said:
I recall having seen a shoulder plane with (k)nickers... but I am damned if I can find it again. I recall it was from a contemporary manufacturer... and the nickers were of a funny wheel variety... any hints? I would have guessed LN?

-gerard-

I remember seeing a picture on a forum somewhere that showed a Lie-Nielsen Rabbet Block Plane (not the skew one) which had the small round nickers fitted to both sides. The modification had been done by Lie-Nielsen as a special order. The Lie-Nielsen Rabbet Block Plane is not usually available with nickers. I think I saw this on Woodcentral but I have been unable to find the picture via a search of that forum.

Scrit":12vl2tpz said:
I wouldn't regard a #10 or #10-1/2 as suitable for the task in most cases as they are too big and clumsy to work anything but a large rebate. Main use I've found for them is cleaning up joinery-size shoulders and tenon cheeks

Scrit

Sure Scrit, the jack rabbet plays on big rebates. But now why wouldn't one use a combination plane for the small rebatres? A #45 is as good as a rabbet plane, it has a good fence and lots of knives. #-o Why didn't we think earlier of it? I often used the Ulmia fillister until I got the Stanley #45, for me metal works better in this task.

Regards, Marc

MarcW":8sm9srvo said:
Sure Scrit, the jack rabbet plays on big rebates. But now why wouldn't one use a combination plane for the small rebatres? A #45 is as good as a rabbet plane, it has a good fence and lots of knives. #-o Why didn't we think earlier of it? I often used the Ulmia fillister until I got the Stanley #45, for me metal works better in this task.
Hi Marc

I was taught to use a Woden #A78 (?? - twin stem) before being allowed near a spindle moulder. I find that a purpose-made plane beats a combi hands down and the extra weight and size make a #45 a slower and more wearisome tool to use for prolonged periods IMHO

Scrit

Scrit":1ae0ow82 said:
I find that a purpose-made plane beats a combi hands down
Despite being the world's biggest Boat Anchor Fan, I fear I can only agree.

Doesn't hurt any that it also means I can justify another plane mind you. :wink: And a spare... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1aqz0oax said:
Scrit":1aqz0oax said:
I find that a purpose-made plane beats a combi hands down
Despite being the world's biggest Boat Anchor Fan, I fear I can only agree.

Scrit, Alf,

I agree, setting up is that tedious, but advantage of a #45 is its fence. Compared to the Ulmia fillister's it's huge. The fence on the Ulmia is indeed nothing but a gauge for the width. It won't make sure you will keep the plane's side square to the board. At each shaving I check squareness to the side, above all at the beginning. Maybe a #78 is better, I don't know, one day I will see :lol:

Have a nice evening,

Marc

Back