just wondering....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHwoodworking

contact me for bespoke high end firewood!
Reaction score
if i wore my ISO tunes original under my stihl helmet ear defenders (or any for that matter), would the DBR be combined or what?

just a thought, as a chainsaw that i will be using soon, the muffler has come off, (actually IMPROVES performance) and it would put a 747 at takeoff power to shame sound wise. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) :shock:

Youre young, you still think your hearing will last forever. trust me, it wont.
Many years of loud motorcycles and wind noise from no helmet has lost me some hearing and it is now difficult to understand modern film sound tracks.
Use ear PLUGS, and then ear protectors, and then get the damn exhaust fixed. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Also remember that after a certain point the ear defenders stop being useful, when loud enough the sound travels through your skull and damages your hearing regardless of the protection you are wearing.

I reckon that wearing the ISO tunes may actually offer slight secondary protection against noise, a bit like foam earplugs with ear defenders on top. You just need to be aware you won't hear much at all with them in, if someones shouting at you to move out of the way of a falling tree or somesuch you may not hear it because of the ear defenders combined with the music distraction.

You can actually buy sound discriminating ear defenders that filter out the loud noise but still allow you to hear people talking, I have no idea how well they work but it's an interesting concept.

I do this all the time, sometimes without actually listening to music. If you have big, bulky ear pieces then they may not fit under your ear deafeners, but they reduce the noise even more.

As said, you won't hear anyone shouting at you, so could be an issue. Also, I don't turn the music up any louder than I would normally when not playing with machinery - no point protecting your ears then melting them with Megadeath at 200dB. Or whoever you listen to - Bach preludes, perhaps?

i dont really like heavy rock......

heaviest is red hot chilli peppers.

its not my chainsaw so its not my responsibility....

but yes i dont always use isotunes with music, and they are actually pretty good ear defenders.

BHwoodworking":2dczgg20 said:
i dont really like heavy rock......

heaviest is red hot chilli peppers.

its not my chainsaw so its not my responsibility....

but yes i dont always use isotunes with music, and they are actually pretty good ear defenders.

You might want to re-think that "not my responsibility" - the moment you lay hands on a tool and start using it, whether loaned from a mate or owned by a company you work for, you are defacto AGREEING to accept the responsibility of "fit for purpose". If you are asked to use a tool you KNOW to have a fault, however minor, and you AGREE to use said tool and something happens YOU will be the one held liable, because it happened while under YOUR use.

Rental car company owners don't go to jail if a customer kills someone in their car, the DRIVER does.

You should have rejected it and asked for another or ensured the owner dealt with it BEFORE you touched it.

If the no muffler causes a noise complaint - guess who has to deal with any fine?

And if the muffler is broken, what's to say the rest is 100% working order and beleive me a chainsaw is the last thing you want to go wrong on you.

Stop using it, get it fixed and serviced.

Just to add to Rafezetters post. A neighbour of mine is a retired HGV driver. He would refuse to take a lorry out if he noticed a fault as he was responsible, not the company who owned the vehicle. It was his licence at risk, his pocket that was hit with what could be a very heavy fine, or loss of income if the the defect was so serious that it was deemed to be the cause of an accident, if he had one, where he received a driving ban due to driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Nigel.

Latest posts

Back