just so u know

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
with all the discussions about the cost of fuel and EV's.....

my wife is waiting for a flight back to Crete at Amsterdam airport....
1/2ltr bottle of water is €3,45.......just 50cents at Athens.....
makes a large bucket of Latte at Starbucks seem cheap at €5,45.....

No wonder there are so many Skandies and Dutch living here.....

Adam W.
next Feb...if u pre book......
Stanstead to Chania in Crete £14 each way.....via RyanAir....
the taxi costs €25 from the airport to the town.....by bus it's €2,50......
Now got family comming over.....dohhhh.....
perhaps I can get em to help with the new workshop build.....hahaha...
some chance....the world is going mad.....

also....
somewhat similar, our drinking water comes from the snow melt in the White mountains
what's not used just flows to the sea......
we buy agri /garden water at 0,20cents per cubic meter....
treated domestic water is €20 per cube....
the gov is thinking of bringing in a 0,10cents tax on the water bottles, reclaimable at the supermarket recycle.....same as Germany I believe....good thing too.....
when we go to the beach we take a bin bag and pick up the dross....
I wish people cared.....

We have the budget airlines to thank for the "incidental" costs of flying.

They want to bring down the headline cost of flights. They use their huge negotiating power to reduce landing fees, baggage handling charges etc etc. If the airport doesn't play ball they will often simply stop flying or use alternate airports (if they can).

The airport responds by making up lost revenue in car park charges and excessive prices for duty free, hospitality and essentials (bottled water!).

The airline makes up the flight revenue, reduced through the low headline price, from speedy boarding, seat selection, luggage charges, inflight catering etc. They have now reduced the size of cabin bag allowance to get more folk to put luggage in the hold.

We flew to Malaga shortly before Xmas. Booked tickets (me + wife) some months earlier at ~£110 return to "lock in" a low price. Added luggage (£160) before flying. Car park (4 weeks) ~£120. Avoided duty free, hospitality etc - I don't like to feel "ripped off".

£55 for two to fly 1200 miles for little more than the cost of a take-away curry is clearly too cheap. But personally I would prefer some honesty in pricing policy, rather than the promotional claptrap we are being fed by the airlines.

Ten years ago I paid £375 for one and a half second class returns to London from Cornwall on the train (I stood for 200 miles on the return).
17 years ago I advance booked a train from Derby to Penzance 320 miles for me and me bike cost £7,
2 weeks later ditto from Wick to Derby 540 miles without booking and it cost £120.
More forethought required next time!
(LEJOG)

I recall Stansted, long time back now, free bottle of water with the Daily Telegraph which cost less than half the price of a bottle of water. Bins were full of newspapers.

Most airports including Heathrow have drinking fountains, its fine to take an empty bottle through security and fill it airside. Stansted has none and the taps in the washrooms are warm only.

It's the effect of Ryanair domination, must be 80% of Stansted flights are theirs, don't like paying landing fees. That's why airports are shopping centres with minimal passenger comforts. Costs more to park your car for 3 days than fly anywhere.

17 years ago I advance booked a train from Derby to Penzance 320 miles for me and me bike cost £7,
2 weeks later ditto from Wick to Derby 540 miles without booking and it cost £120.
More forethought required next time!
(LEJOG)
How was the ride?

Camping or b+b??

Mountain or road bike?

I did it 2 1/2 years ago 8 days b+b / friends.

Cheers James

They want to bring down the headline cost of flights. They use their huge negotiating power to reduce landing fees, baggage handling charges etc etc. If the airport doesn't play ball they will often simply stop flying or use alternate airports (if they can).
That’s quite right, and you have to be very careful, sometimes you think you’re landing at a major city but you find you’re at quite a small airport about 40 miles away – from what I’ve read!

Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?

I recall Stansted, long time back now, free bottle of water with the Daily Telegraph which cost less than half the price of a bottle of water. Bins were full of newspapers.

Most airports including Heathrow have drinking fountains, its fine to take an empty bottle through security and fill it airside. Stansted has none and the taps in the washrooms are warm only.

It's the effect of Ryanair domination, must be 80% of Stansted flights are theirs, don't like paying landing fees. That's why airports are shopping centres with minimal passenger comforts. Costs more to park your car for 3 days than fly anywhere.
Stansted charge for dropping off a passenger in your car, whatever next?

Stansted charge for dropping off a passenger in your car, whatever next?
Yes they all seem to do it now, Heathrow it’s £5 and there are no machines, you drive away thinking there will be a machine in a minute but no you have to go online afterwards – pain in the neck, and if you do ever go to Heathrow watch out for the Ring Road around the airport sneaky little yellow speed cameras on the lamp posts, loads of them and the speed limits keeps changing – Tricksy beggars. Ian

Back