Just ordered one of these - Now received update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russell

Established Member
Reaction score
Just ordered my Christmas present :D Brennan I wont get it before Christmas though due to the waiting list :( Works like a IPOD but you can use it with out compression if you want, I also like the fact that I can copy my vinyl to it with the turntable I have at the moment. It will hold up to 3200 albums so should sort me out.

Sounds cool 'but' nothing beats hunting down that missing CD..lol
& what if you for get what cd's you have on there...Take my
2 gig mp3 player lots of tunes but only a 1/4 ever get played... :lol:
Like the Idea of getting my vinyl on to hard drive and cd..
Gifts are for Xmas...

It has a data base of all albums release millions of them that you can update that gives you a alphabetical album then track listing to allow easy searching for that elusive track

I'd have to be terminally bored to tolerate the 4 min per CD transfer time for my ca. 1000 CDs. Besides, I am happy enough with the sound quality of my MP3s loaded over years of computer usage.

Classical music? I'll put money that it doesn't hit the spot.

EDIT: Just looked at the documentation and it's database structure as far as classical music goes is worse then the iPod - which is pretty inadequate to begin with. So I'm sure it will be a big success but not for anyone with a predominantly classical library.

Hi,

3200 albums should take you about 66 days to record non-stop, good luck with that :wink:

Pete

Good job I have only 700 or so to do. Its the saving without compression that interests me. 700 hundred CD's take up quite a lot of space and this offers an easy solution long term it means I can shut the cd's in the loft. I thought of using a pc but they just don't look right I don't want my lounge to look like an office and wanted something a little more robust than an ipod and docking station.

Russell":2va4hjfv said:
Thats the whole point I don't want a storage cupboard in the lounge I am trying to get rid of it.

Are you female? :p

so whats the difference between this unit and say an Ipod classic with all CD ripped using a lossless codec?

.. apart from not needing the computer to do the ripping, but I suspect with modern DVD/DC drives you'd rip a cd on a modern machine faster than 4 mins.....

I'm missing the point

Steve

kityuser":t104976v said:
so whats the difference between this unit and say an Ipod classic with all CD ripped using a lossless codec?

.. apart from not needing the computer to do the ripping, but I suspect with modern DVD/DC drives you'd rip a cd on a modern machine faster than 4 mins.....

I'm missing the point

Steve

Plus you get some semblance towards a decent filing system other than, well, um, er, album and track.

TrimTheKing":1uyu0ilz said:
But, but, but, just look at it!!!

;)

I`m looking......

I thought the idea was to hear?

at that price its bloody expensive too!!!!!!

still not seeing the point over a lossless encoded track on an ipod classic

Steve

kityuser":33nu01ky said:
TrimTheKing":33nu01ky said:
But, but, but, just look at it!!!

;)

I`m looking......

I thought the idea was to hear?

at that price its bloody expensive too!!!!!!

still not seeing the point over a lossless encoded track on an ipod classic

Steve
I don't think there is any, just different. I have ahd a look around it and it does what it does, and you're right that it is quite expensive for what it does, but since when has that ever stopped anyone.

I already have distributed A/V all around my house controlled by Crestron kit so I really don't need one, but can still see the attraction if you don't already have something in this area.

For me its about a solution to a storage problem, the ease of playing music from a collection whilst being lazy and not reloading a CD and the robustness of the unit. I do not think an ipod is robust or a long term option my sister has broke 2 ipods and one zen music player in 5 years and I dont need pc to manage it.

Russell":2rpc1hpm said:
I do not think an ipod is robust or a long term option my sister has broke 2 ipods and one zen music player in 5 years and I dont need pc to manage it.
I appreciate your first part Russell but I do think the robustness is invalid. I have had 4 iPod's of various gen's, currently 16G Touch, and have never had any issues at all with any of them.

They are like anything, throw them around and you will have a problem, treat it like a piece of technology and you should be fine.

The PC management thing is all well and good, but what about when the machine doesn't import the album or track names correctly (as happens ridiculously often with ALL music players/software)? How do you modify them? How long will this take?

TrimTheKing":719ll8jm said:
The PC management thing is all well and good, but what about when the machine doesn't import the album or track names correctly (as happens ridiculously often with ALL music players/software)? How do you modify them? How long will this take?

That's what really puts me off this product even for pop and jazz music. As far as I can see all you can enter is album name and track which to my way of thinking is pretty naff. Even for pop. Surely you'd want to select by pop group? True, they say you can use the album field for the name of the group but then where do you put the name of the album? Plain daft, if you ask me.

[Waits for someone to tell me that i've got it all wrong.....]

Back