Just ordered a new plane...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally persuaded by some comments I read in Paul Sellers' blog, I just ordered a Juuma smoother from Dieter Schmid.

I would prefer a low angle plane, but Juuma only makes them #5-sized, and I really need a smoother to replace my 40 year old, much refurbished, flattened, polished and tentatively tuned Stanley Handyman (I even replaced some parts with their equivalent parts salvaged from a cracked Bailey #3 which I binned; mind you, I can get thin enough shavings in softwoods, but it takes an inordinate amount of time to keep the Handyman properly fettled). As for the low angle smoothers by LN or Veritas, they are as much out of my reach as the moon.

The second-hand market here s***s. And I am wary of what I may get from e-bay, people there live in too far-away places from me in case anything goes wrong. So, a brand new tool it would have to be...

I hope not to be disappointed, my Juuma block plane has been honest good so far.

GLFaria":1bofi084 said:
I just ordered a Juuma smoother from Dieter Schmid.

A rapid google reveals that this is going to be a "cousin" of a Quangsheng from Workshop Heaven.

Should be a good 'un - Enjoy!

BugBear

i have one myself, a good piece of kit IMO but at 2,2 Kg quite heavier than your average stanley. that could be a plus, a draw-back or just not an issue. as of late i´ve been heading towards wooden planes, so it kind of feels heavy on my hands, but it´s nice to have an heavier one for a change - it planes more stubborn rosewood quite satisfactorily, even if it´s not high angled. the blade is quite good, and not hard to sharpen at all (on my stones at least) - as you should already know from your smaller juuma.

cheers,
Miguel.

Hi,

Have fun with your new purchase, heard they are good users.
I feel your pain regarding local flea markets... I rarely see good metal planes in my neck of the woods. Wooden planes are probably more common where you live, but look out as they tend to have way more issues than any metal planes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I really want from both QS and Juuma is the 1/2 sized planes. Most eBay sellers don't ship them overseas due to weight and those who do charge a lot (not blaming them but it's the way it is).

Sam

mqbernardo":w75sf68z said:
i have one myself, a good piece of kit IMO but at 2,2 Kg quite heavier than your average stanley. that could be a plus, a draw-back or just not an issue. as of late i´ve been heading towards wooden planes, so it kind of feels heavy on my hands, but it´s nice to have an heavier one for a change - it planes more stubborn rosewood quite satisfactorily, even if it´s not high angled. the blade is quite good, and not hard to sharpen at all (on my stones at least) - as you should already know from your smaller juuma.

cheers,
Miguel.

Yes, I am aware of the weight - a full 600g heavier than the one I have been using. For the kind of work I do, which is strictly amateur and mostly with soft woods, it will probably be more of a draw-back, or at best a non-issue. Looking at it from the bright side, it may just be the extra physical exercise I need :).
As for wooden planes, I feel I am still not prepared for them...

GLFaria":3p8s69v1 said:
i´m sure you will be pleased with the Juuma, but since we live in the same corner of the world, i´ll be happy to ship you one woodie for you to try for a couple of weeks/months - but you must promise you´ll return it in case you really like it... :)
they really don´t appear to be more difficult to use than a metal plane, provided they´re well tuned - believe me, i have two left hands and only do woodworking for a couple of years... here´s a teasing pic, african blackwood and brazilian rosewood plane made by a friend of mine:

Attachments

• 1604565_228145560705981_1273682782_n.jpg
    1604565_228145560705981_1273682782_n.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,104
mqbernardo":2lv3abqh said:
GLFaria":2lv3abqh said:
i´m sure you will be pleased with the Juuma, but since we live in the same corner of the world, i´ll be happy to ship you one woodie for you to try for a couple of weeks/months - but you must promise you´ll return it in case you really like it... :)
they really don´t appear to be more difficult to use than a metal plane, provided they´re well tuned - believe me, i have two left hands and only do woodworking for a couple of years... here´s a teasing pic, african blackwood and brazilian rosewood plane made by a friend of mine:

Beautiful!!!
But as for borrowing one of yours, thank you, I would never dare.
However, I would certainly be glad to visit some day, if that would suit you. Leiria is not that far away (I live near Lisbon), and I am very sure I would have the opportunity to learn a lot - for instance about tuning a wooden plane...
Unfortunately, due to family care duties, I have precious little time to go out, and always for relatively short spans of time. Maybe some day...

It certainly is.

"What I really want from both QS and Juuma is the 1/2 sized planes. Most eBay sellers don't ship them overseas due to weight and those who do charge a lot (not blaming them but it's the way it is).

Sam"

That sounds strange, the weight. People ship heavier stuff than a plane. Jeez...

GLFaria":kps473uj said:
However, I would certainly be glad to visit some day, if that would suit you. Leiria is not that far away (I live near Lisbon), and I am very sure I would have the opportunity to learn a lot - for instance about tuning a wooden plane...
you´d be most welcome. just shoot me a PM when you decide to pop up.

I would think 1/2 sizes would be here soon. Once a product is out there (I think they are around in the US) it wont take long for them to be offered into other markets.

iNewbie":jvxcsyvk said:
It certainly is.

"What I really want from both QS and Juuma is the 1/2 sized planes. Most eBay sellers don't ship them overseas due to weight and those who do charge a lot (not blaming them but it's the way it is).

Sam"

That sounds strange, the weight. People ship heavier stuff than a plane. Jeez...

There is a difference - mail order sellers shipping individual items usually use postal services or couriers, where weight is a major factor in shipping costs. You'll actually quite often see items on eBay (planes or turning blanks are good examples) where the shipping is as costly as the item itself!

On the other hand, manufacturers shipping in bulk use containerization, where, unless special handling is required, volume is the only factor. Relatively the shipping cost per item for somebody like QS, shipping several hundred planes at a time is astonishingly lower. That's one reason that when buyers are waiting for delivery they are often told "it's on it's way" when actually it's no such thing - it really means that a fair bit of it is at the shippers premises waiting for sufficient items to leave the manufacturers works to enable them to completely "stuff" the container. The least economical thing to ship by container is air!

mqbernardo":1exn8l1q said:
GLFaria":1exn8l1q said:
you´d be most welcome. just shoot me a PM when you decide to pop up.

Thank you very much for your kindness. I'll do.

...and it arrived today.

Still no time for a really in-depth check, but my first general impressions:
- sturdy, overall manufacturing quality quite acceptable
- slightly stiff depth and lateral adjustment mechanism, even with what I would consider a slightly too loose lever cap tension (certainly looser than what I use on my other no.4); possibly in need of a little use...
- as expected, rather heavy

What I like:
-bedding and throat adjustment system
- sole adequately flat lengthwise and in the diagonals - I think! (please keep in mind I am a mechanic at heart, so when dealing with matters concerning wood I am never sure wether I am being too severe or too forgiving); my Moore and Wright engineer's square shows a little light on the transverse sense, but my thinnest feeler gauge at .25mm (.01") won't go through - would you woodworking pros deem this to be flat enough?

What I have misgivings about:
- lever-cap spring is copper??? (it is brownish, it is a-magnetic, I somehow don't see someone colouring brown a sheet of a-magnetic stainless steel just for looks)
- depth adjustment screw is brass??? (yellow, a-magnetic)
- general gaudiness - well, that was a given and to be expected; but this beeing a working tool I will not look twice
- some sharp(ish) corners on the sole need being be worked upon

What I definitely don't like: the "woodies"!!!
- The tote is too small, even for my under average-size hands; the curves are all wrong, my fingers keep wanting to bang the lateral ajustment lever, I must handle the plane as if I were putting on a glove - and not a very large one at that. This I will need to work upon even before I start using this plane, as is it is too uncomfortable. I can't see how a person with average sized hands could use this plane as it comes, much less one with large hands.
- On the contrary, the knob is a big chunk of wood, too high, not overly fat but with a shape that makes me feel like I'm holding a big, unwieldy pear. This too will have to get my attention
Well, after all, if I used to modify the grips on my competition pistols as soon as I got them, I don't see why I should not do that to a hand-plane...

There you have it for my first impressions. As I must correct the general shape of the tote and the knob, I will not start to use this plane for the next few days (have other things in line...)

(edit: inserted "holding", otherwise people might think I feel like e big, unwieldy pear - which I most certainly don't!!!)

G S Haydon":27tlj4te said:
I would think 1/2 sizes would be here soon. Once a product is out there (I think they are around in the US) it wont take long for them to be offered into other markets.

We should have the V3 WoodRiver 41/2 and 51/2 with us very soon along with the standard 3,4,5,6 and 7. We have had our first couple in and they have been sent out to the editors for review. I hope to have some pics and a video soon.
Peter

GLFaria":ghrfnpyw said:
- lever-cap spring is copper??? (it is brownish, it is a-magnetic, I somehow don't see someone colouring brown a sheet of a-magnetic stainless steel just for looks)
Bronze maybe? I would have thought copper would be too soft for a lever-cap (or any other sort of lever).

GLFaria":ghrfnpyw said:
- The tote is too small, even for my under average-size hands; the curves are all wrong, my fingers keep wanting to bang the lateral ajustment lever...
May I suggest - instead of altering this tote, put it aside and make a new larger one. This will preserve the value of your plane should you ever decide to part with it - and should be a fun execise as well

bugbear":ghrfnpyw said:
This thread needs photos!!
What he says !

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2s77llvb said:
GLFaria":2s77llvb said:
Bronze maybe? I would have thought copper would be too soft for a lever-cap (or any other sort of lever).

Well, maybe bronze. I agree copper would be too soft, but I was so surprised I didn't even think about it. Wouldn't expect a bronze spring either...

GLFaria":2s77llvb said:
- The tote is too small, even for my under average-size hands; the curves are all wrong, my fingers keep wanting to bang the lateral ajustment lever...
May I suggest - instead of altering this tote, put it aside and make a new larger one. This will preserve the value of your plane should you ever decide to part with it - and should be a fun execise as well

Mmmmhhh! It's been years since I last made a pistol grip. And I botched the one tote I made for a Stanley plane - of a very fine wood besides - because I assumed the dimensions on the template in the Lee Valley site were ok, and did not check the real thing. Well, at least for my #3 they weren't...
Anyway, it might be worth a try, at least for the fun of it, even though there may be a problem or two to solve - like getting the proper angle for the long screw, and drilling the long hole, too (my smallish DP goes only 50mm deep; drilling from both sides always carries a factor of luck). It will certainly take much longer than doing a bit of surgery on the original tote - the more so as I like an oil finish... But you are tempting me, you are tempting me... I will give it a hard look. Thanks for reminding.

(BTW, which way should the grain run on a tote?)

bugbear":2s77llvb said:
This thread needs photos!!
What he says !

Cheers, Vann.

Here go the requested photos; now don't say there are too many of them... Oh, it seems 10 is the maximum; there are 14 of them, I will post the remaining in a follower...

First, the gaudy looking side:
001.JPG

A bronze lever spring???:
002.JPG

Frog and mating surfaces; is that depth adjustment screw made of brass?
003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

The iron and the cap-iron; I don't like that cap-iron at all, I will have a lot of work sharpening and polishing it. I always thought a cap-iron should be somewhat springy for it to work properly, but I can see no springiness on this 3mm thick slab!
007.JPG

Now the wooddies. Notice how chunky and slab-sided the tote on the Juuma is when compared with the one of the Stanley #3 (early 70's vintage). The tote of the Juuma is not actually smaller than the Stanley - it's the space available for placing the hand that is smaller. Besides, the shape of the curves and the flatness of the sides make that the web of the hand is pressed against the upper part of the tote, making it quite uncomfortable. I know I have small hands, but at least with the Stanley I manage to reach the depth adjustment nut with my index finger. Certainly not with the Juuma...
I drew a 10mm x 10mm grid in order for it to be easier to compare the overall shape of both totes. To reduce parallax errors, each tote was photographed separately, on the same place on the grid, and the individual photos were (not very accurately, I'm afraid) combined into one.
As for the knob... no need to comment, is there?..
008.png

009.JPG

010.jpg

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 836
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 836
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG