Just how many faults are there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
In this piece of oak I had left-over from a job last week.....

OAK.jpg

I counted 4 defects which is pretty amazing in just 12 inches

Scrit

There's only one fault - and it isn't in the wood, it's in whatever woodworker can't take delight in such a beautiful resource.

;)

Gill

You couldn't be hung up on the spalt (rot), bark inclusions, checks, crotch, burl (burr?) and sticker stain could you? All of which are acceptable for pallets but a no no if it was Select grade. :D

Want to be nice and at least tell what grade it was bought under?

One of those chunks of scrap kept around for that "special" project someday. :wink:

I must admit I like the piece of wood, I think it would even look nice in a piece of furniture.

I can see this turning into a 'For Sale' post

Anyone want to start the bidding :lol:

Andy

Working on a kitchen at the moment with cats paw or pippy oak raised and fielded panels. all of them look like that, minus the sap and they are paying a fortune for the privilege.

It was the end of a supposedly joinery grade oak plank and indeed I picked out spalted sapwood, bark inclusions, checks and burl. Forget to mention the sticker stain and tiger striping, though :oops: And the "special project" was a solid oak window board which got made from the better bits. Oh, well

Scrit

Back