Just got back into it!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Not done any woodwork for yonks and now my son has asked me to make him a couple of gates and this would include having to do a good few mortice and tenon joints. Can't remember the last time I did these, no problem with the tenons I can cut these with my bandsaw. I would appreciate it if someone could teach me a simple way to cut the mortice out of 100mm X 50mm deal.
Failing this, would simple saddle joints be OK with halving joints in the middle?
Would appreciate any help and advice for this old geezer in his dotage:unsure:

Bingy man

Established Member
Reaction score
Not done any woodwork for yonks and now my son has asked me to make him a couple of gates and this would include having to do a good few mortice and tenon joints. Can't remember the last time I did these, no problem with the tenons I can cut these with my bandsaw. I would appreciate it if someone could teach me a simple way to cut the mortice out of 100mm X 50mm deal.
Failing this, would simple saddle joints be OK with halving joints in the middle?
Would appreciate any help and advice for this old geezer in his dotage:unsure:
I take it you don’t have access to a morticer -in which case I would simply drill out the majority of waste with your piller or hand drill then clean up the sides with a good sharp chisel, simple and relatively straightforward. I think a mortice and tennon is the strongest joint for gates depending on the size and type of gates of course.

Latest posts