Just got back into it!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Not done any woodwork for yonks and now my son has asked me to make him a couple of gates and this would include having to do a good few mortice and tenon joints. Can't remember the last time I did these, no problem with the tenons I can cut these with my bandsaw. I would appreciate it if someone could teach me a simple way to cut the mortice out of 100mm X 50mm deal.
Failing this, would simple saddle joints be OK with halving joints in the middle?
Would appreciate any help and advice for this old geezer in his dotage:unsure:

Not done any woodwork for yonks and now my son has asked me to make him a couple of gates and this would include having to do a good few mortice and tenon joints. Can't remember the last time I did these, no problem with the tenons I can cut these with my bandsaw. I would appreciate it if someone could teach me a simple way to cut the mortice out of 100mm X 50mm deal.
Failing this, would simple saddle joints be OK with halving joints in the middle?
Would appreciate any help and advice for this old geezer in his dotage:unsure:
I take it you don’t have access to a morticer -in which case I would simply drill out the majority of waste with your piller or hand drill then clean up the sides with a good sharp chisel, simple and relatively straightforward. I think a mortice and tennon is the strongest joint for gates depending on the size and type of gates of course.

Back