Just did over 2K at axminster - gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
fortunately it wasnt my money - but unfortunately it wasnt for my workshop either.

as its getting near the end of the budget year at work, have been spending up and have taken the opportunity to refit the volunteers workshop (where we make signs, gates, benches, info boards, a mess , etc)

I cant remember everything i bought (which is always a bad sign) but the high points were many thanks to the advice threads on here for some good ideas - also justification for coming on ukw in work time ;) )

a DW733 thicknesser
TS 200 table saw
AWBS floor standing bandsaw and five spare blades
DW plunge saw and rail
AWFS fretsaw and spare blades
MTM air filter
Ryobi Ert 2001 router (no table as the axminster ones looked a bit rubbish - we are going to build one)
Axmister 24 router cutter set
Makita 3021 Biscuit jointer ( c/w 1000 free biscuits)

plus alsorts of other accesory goodness - like machinery covers made out of heavy cotton with rare earth magnets in the hems.

that lot ran to about 1800 notes , so with the rest I also went hand tool shopping and laid in

two big 1200mm sash cramps (for gates)
80x200mm F cramps ( 5 pk)
100x500mm F cramps (5pk)
a big vareity pack of spring clamps
a set of carvers tools - for making fancy signs
several saws in different TPIs
several tenon saws ditto
a set of mortice chisels
A massive set of drill bits inc forstners and augers
and a set of files/rasps.

hand tool total arround 250 quid , total spend just over £2k

there still being a bit of cash in the budget I then went to screwfix and bought a dehumidifier and a 10KW lpg heater (the workshop is in an agricultural building so both will be very welcome), and a secure locking steel box to store the more portable tooly goodness in.

the orders havent arrived yet but as you can tell I (and most of my woodwork volunteers) are like kids waiting for xmas. :D When its all assembled i'll post some pics in the workshop tours section.

if theres any money left - next port of call will be henry venables for some oak - it would be handy to have some wood to work as well as machines to play with really ;)

(btw - if you are wondering about a few obvious ommisions from the list , we already have a multico morticer , axminster floor standing pillar drill, axminster dust extractor, ryobi mitre saw, and an elu router mounted in a trend routergraph)

Sounds like you have been having fun then! :lol:

But i think i can beat that lill haul 8) more details coming soon \:D/

David111s":2iv3k7yl said:

Um.........when the "Hammer" lands all will be revealed. :lol:

Chippyjoe":25a04rx7 said:
David111s":25a04rx7 said:

Um.........when the "Hammer" lands all will be revealed. :lol:

Oh the "Hammer" is just a small part of it......... :lol:

Regards
David

Sounds like Christmas has come a little late for you guys (or is it just very early?)! :D I assume there's always the option for you to 'borrow' a few items should you need to do some work at home over a weekend... :wink:

If your workshop's not far from where you live then, I think you're pretty close to Calne? You could try Vasterns if you're after oak (they've also got a place in Wootton Basset). I bought a load of lovely brown oak from them back in October and the prices were reasonable for native oak. From what the guy there was telling me, they're always cutting oak and stock plenty of it (hence, why they are able to supply brown oak). If price is an issue though and you are currently looking at American or European wood, I can understand... :? :)

I think the 'mill in Calne also trades under the name 'Studley Sawmills'... I'm still not clear on why both names appeared on my invoice.

big soft moose":3pa5q0at said:
bought a dehumidifier and a 10KW lpg heater

Let's hope the dehumidifier can remove the moisture quicker than the lpg heater puts it in.

Where is this workshop (approximately)? I live in the village next to you (Broad Town)

hi guys - the eagle has landed - my office is now full of tempting white boxes full of axminstery goodness. (and yellow dewalt logo'd ones)

I dont want to give the actual workshop location on the internet - Its not that i dont trust you guys , its the other scrotes who might be looking in without registering that worry me. But in general terms its in the wantage area of south oxfordshire.

Although i live in broad hinton in wilts, i am based in oxford - though i work all over the place from glos , wilts, bucks, berks, oxon and surrey. I live in broad hinton because swimbo is based in devizes

Wizer i think kent may be a little far away ;) but joking aside anyone who does live in the area and is interested in volunteering should contact me by pm

Thanks for the tip on the wood suppliers Olly - I am actually much closer to wooton basset than calne.

filsgreen - no freebies (in fact they forgot to put the motice guage in so I will be onthe phone shortly) but yes we got a certain discount - we can reclaim the vat as well.

and paulo - yep i know what you mean , but the gas heater will only be on when we are there , whereas the dehumidifier will be running every night on a time switch - there is plenty of moisture in there already thanks to the holes in the roof.

I wouldn't worry too much about the heater right now; Spring will soon be here!! :D Dehumidifiers are important though, if you can afford them.

If you're closer to Oxford then I'm have to recommend you meet James Binning at Deep in Woodto you. Really nice guy and he's a woodworker to boot. Probably a little too young to be running a timber business... (he's younger than me!!) :D :wink: But, when I met him a few months ago, I realised he has some great plans for the place; definitely a contact who's well worth having. :)

big soft moose":mz8q90pz said:
swimbo is based in devizes

Mmm beer (Devizes is the home of 6X).

Now, how does the limerick go?
There was a young lady from Devizes
She had...

Nope, forgotten it.

:wink:

OPJ":1m62h5fo said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the heater right now; Spring will soon be here!! :D Dehumidifiers are important though, if you can afford them.

If you're closer to Oxford then I'm have to recommend you meet James Binning at Deep in Woodto you. Really nice guy and he's a woodworker to boot. Probably a little too young to be running a timber business... (he's younger than me!!) :D :wink: But, when I met him a few months ago, I realised he has some great plans for the place; definitely a contact who's well worth having. :)

Cheers for that olly - i go through besseleigh on my way to work each morning so i'll have to look in there.

heater wise - it gets blooming cold in our shop - we had the radiant heaters on up nto may last year. I did look at a woodburner (of the machine mart type) but the thing was that although the burner was cheap , the flu piping was flipping expensive.

Back