• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Just couldn't resist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Tony, you've been snooping around other people's workshops, haven't you?
Well, you can tell your friend that they have a very nice set AI chisels. Perhaps your friend could tell us more about them?

Rgds

Noel

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Mmm..

Round bits, steel bits, bevels ,sharp ends etc etc. These are very probably chisels. I have heard you can buy such things on ebay or B&Q.

I see these ones have gold labels though..

A

Anonymous

Yes, my Ashley Iles bevel chisels have finally arrived. Yeah!!!! :p :p :p

I haven't had time to try them yet but my elder daughter managed to cut her finger on one when I left them on the worktop after opening the packaging, so at least they are sharp :p Actually they are razor sharp :wink: They arrived very well packaged and with a lifetime guarantee and a standard offer to regrind them free of charge if I am unhappy in any way :wink:

Very heavy and the handles are quite long and thick. The blades taper down to near nothing towards the cutting edge and I feel that dovetails will be a delight with these babies in hand

First signs are that they are worth every penny and I can't wait to actually use them tomorrow.

I nearly went for Sorby, was tempted to save up for 2 years for the LNs, but in the end I found that the AI's got better reviews almost everywhere.

Sorry Alf, I know I must try harder :oops:

A

Anonymous

Noely":e6khvogj said:
Yes Tony, you've been snooping around other people's workshops, haven't you?
Well, you can tell your friend that they have a very nice set AI chisels. Perhaps your friend could tell us more about them?

Rgds

Noel
:p :p :p

Of course :p :roll:

Chris

I can't manage your subtle gloats like the LN chisels slipped into a photo waiting for someone to notice. I bow to the master of subtle gloats. :wink:

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony,

Actually, I thought it was quite an elegant, restrained gloat :)

In any case, I shall be very inerested to hear what you think. They are lovely looking chisels and I like the way that AI appear to be ready to grind them to your wishes. I've seen these appearing in photos waiting to be noticed as well - last occasions I think was Kevin Ley in F&C.

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats Tony......good choice!

I've been using my set of AI chisels for about a year now and I think they're the business! They hold a really sharp edge and I feel that the larger handles give you more control and stops you gripping them too tightly. I've been using then quite a bit over the last week whilst building the new dining room table and they are a pleasure to use!

SimonA

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
waterhead37":31q4oca0 said:
H'oh h'absolutely. A dedicated thread and a 800x600 pixels picture size. Pure class... :lol:

Any chance of a close up of the beveled edges, Tony? And maybe something round the ferrule area too? You don't get to gloat scot free you know. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

Alf":1cw4od0d said:
waterhead37":1cw4od0d said:
H'oh h'absolutely. A dedicated thread and a 800x600 pixels picture size. Pure class... :lol:

Any chance of a close up of the beveled edges, Tony? And maybe something round the ferrule area too? You don't get to gloat scot free you know. :wink:

Cheers, Alf
Will do tonight - I take it you want a side view of bevel.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony":bduo50gn said:
Will do tonight - I take it you want a side view of bevel.
Side view, top view, three-quarter view, X-ray, electron microscope - whatever. I'm not fussy :D Ta muchly.

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

Here you go Alf. Marks were left from the packaging goo that was on blades, not even managed to wipe them over yet :roll:

A

Anonymous

The considerable extra weight when compared to the two-cherries makes a real difference :)

First impression is that when used straight from the maufacturers packaging they out perform my lovingly fettled Two-Cherries with their flattened (and yes polished now, Philly :) ) backs and carefully honed edges :shock:

I spent hours on those cherries and was really pleased with their performance too :twisted:

I reckon the steel is not as hard as the cherries though.

I will write a review when I have the backs fettled and have used them for a while.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Ta muchly, Tony. It does confirm the impression I got from a fleeting look at them at a couple of shows. I'm afraid the Man from Maine still has the, er, edge as far as my chisel desires are concerned at the moment. Blast him. :(

Cheers, Alf

Off to sing three verses of Rule Britannia to make up for these unpatriotic sentiments. :oops:

P.S. When did you sneak over the 1000 post mark anyway?! Congrats. 8)

A

Anonymous

Alf":1cnosvu8 said:
P.S. When did you sneak over the 1000 post mark anyway?! Congrats. 8)
Didn't think anyone had noticed :cry: :cry: :wink: