Just bought a Titan plunge saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Very new to this and just getting into making things.

Bought a Titan plunge saw and started using it yesterday to cut sheets of mdf.

First thing I noticed is that the tracks aren't as 'sticky' as I thought they would be. I though the black strips on the bottom of the tracks would make the tracks much more difficult to move about during a cut than they are.

So I'm wondering ... is it normal for the tracks to slip easily? Should I be doing something else with those strips?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the maker of the tracks. My parkside tracks are not as "grippy" as my festool track.

Is it worth taking those strips off (the tracks are pretty useless with them on) and replacing them with something more grippy?

blackbulldog":2gydafe2 said:
Hi,

Very new to this and just getting into making things.

Bought a Titan plunge saw and started using it yesterday to cut sheets of mdf.

First thing I noticed is that the tracks aren't as 'sticky' as I thought they would be. I though the black strips on the bottom of the tracks would make the tracks much more difficult to move about during a cut than they are.

So I'm wondering ... is it normal for the tracks to slip easily? Should I be doing something else with those strips?

Thanks in advance.

It depends what you are cutting.

If there is movement you need the optional track clamps. Other brands have compatible clamps.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

It should be firm enough for you to run it in normal circumstances, i.e. horizontally with gravity helping. I'd make sure the surface is free of dust and clean as this will often cause it to move. I can't comment on the Titan but they should be grippy enough for you not to have to ask in the first place IMO.

Have a word with your local Screwfix, they may be able to help, check them against other stock. Failing that, replace the strips and buy some clamps anyhow, they are useful in their own right regardless of your current situation.

I rarely use any of my tracks without a clamp unless it's for rough stuff like cutting chipboard flooring so it's never been a problem for me.

My saw is a Mafell and it has clamps that slide in the bottom in various places. Personally I prefer to use quick release clamps rather than rely on the track not moving. Only takes a few seconds and no chance of track misalignment.

Hi Blackbulldog.

I think you may be missing the point of the black strips. They are a splinter guard , I.e. when you make the first cut, the black strip is cut exactly to the position of the blade. This strip will then stop any future cuts from splintering the wood as the blade exits the cut. The strips are not aimed at being grippy to keep the track in place.

The track is either held in place by gravity and the weight of the saw, or you can buy track clamps to hold it in place.

If you remove the black strips, expect to have a really poor finish cut !!

Yeah ,I was talking about the other strips, not the splinter guard.

Thanks for all the advice.
I'll got to screwfix tomorrow and see if my strips are different ... and get some rail clamps.

Sorry, late to this. The grippy strips under the Titan rails aren’t the best - nothing comes close to the Festool rails for this - but they should be enough to stop the rail sliding; don’t think I’ve ever clamped my Titan rails down.

Rail clamps are well worth having, though Screwfix isn’t the cheapest. I’ve seen the Makita ones online for £15, and the Festool at £20 - might be worth considering if you’re buying something else to mitigate the shipping costs.

Oh, and you can buy the Festool grippy strips as a spare part btw.

HTH. P

I have the same track saw - in addition to the above, it's worth checking you don't have the adjustments on the saw set too tight to the track as this'll cause the saw to push the track out of position.

Back