Just bought a Record CL1 but need help with missing part.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday I bought a CL1, Chuck and the bowl attachment via a local advert. It is in very good order but was dismantled as the owner had just moved house, downsized and had nowhere to keep it. Unfortunately having unpacked it I’ve found that he seems to have mislaid a couple of bits. He’s confident they will appear as he gets unpacked and I do trust him to try and find them. However, one is the clamp that locks the tail stock to the bed so it means I cannot use the lathe to make the legs I bought it for. I suspect it is the same casting that goes under the tool rest but wondered if anyone could confirm that for me. If it is just a plate, I can probably just machine up a new one. Advice appreciated.

I’ll probably give record a call on Monday but as it’s an old model am not hopeful.

Regards,

Colin

As far as I can recall the clamp under the tool banjo and tail stock aree the same. They are both cast iron. Mine is locked up in my workshop at the moment and I am out tomorrow morning, but if I can persuade my brain cell to remember I will have a gander tomorrow afternoon.

I have had my CL1 for best part of 20 years now and it's still doing the same job as new and doing so very well. A blue jobbie, the original, I think? The main modification I have done to it is to change the motor for a 3ø motor with a variable speed control and reverse. It was about the best thing since sliced bread for me!

But meanwhile enjoy it, it is a great bit of kit. And good luck with the tail stock bits. There should just be the casting and the locking bolt

Thanks John,

Mine is the later green version but it will do for me.

The seller certain he will find it as he unpacks but am not worried as I am confident that if all else fails I can make a replacement.

Regards,

Colin

Jonzjob":1rktflve said:
I hope that his move is better than our double jobbie. France to N Wilts, rental for a year and then into our own place last November!!! Never again!

But at least I now have my workshop again, when I can get in it :shock: :shock:

Most house moves are fairly traumatic I think. No plans to do it again but who knows what the future has in store?

Not often I say this, but mine's a bit bigger. Its DH-88 Comet G-ASCP 44ft wing span, something that I am involved with restoring, see here: https://www.cometracer.co.uk/

For the past several years my efforts (and money) have been going into aviation and various related projects but am trying to get back into 'proper' woodworking as retirement approaches. Am currently working on a Jodel restoration/repair too. Here's a photo:

IMG_1717.JPG

That was a while ago but shows the wing structure quite nicely. Just like a big model aircraft. The wing is now re-covered and we're applying lots of coats of dope to it. The fuselage goes off to the painters next week.

regards

Colin

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 319
Going totally away from your original post, but as you are the OP and have sorted your query??

That DH-88 is a beautiful aircraft and I would love to get invoved with something like that. I was an aircraft eleky in the R.A.F. for 12 1/2 years, but the Comets I started out with at R.A.F. Lyneham were DH Comet 2s followed by 4Cs and throughout the 5 years at Lyneham the Britannias. So a bit bigger yet again?

A Britannia turned up at Kemble. It's an ex R.A.F. jobbie and I finished up as the eleky on it for about 4 years before we moved to France. It's not far up the road from here now and I would love to get involved with it again when I get the chance?

This is she https://www.xm496.com/. If you scroll down there is mention of a Canberra PR9. When I was stationed at Tenga, Singapore I spent some time on 81 Sqdn with Canberra PR7s. Yet another lovely aircraft to work on. Not too keen on anything with 'bang seats' in them though. Martin Baker did a wonderful job, but those seats frightened the hell out of me!

The Jodel is another favoutrite and a lovely little aircraft. Will yours be fully aerobatic? It would make a lovely electric RC model at about 1/5th scale.

Back