Just bought a Metabo SXE450

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
...£119 Inc VAT from FFX.
Seems like a good deal.

I have bought cheap Sanders in the past and always regret it. Now I have bought a not-inexpensive which I hope will handle all my woodwork, AND, DIY jobs like sanding walls (plaster, filler, paint) etc.

Will let you know my review when I start using it.
S

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have one and it is great.

treat yourself to one of these before you use it too much https://www.axminster.co.uk/mirka-disc- ... s-ax851925

and I thoroughly recommend using abranet abrasive. If you do, the pad saver is even more important, because without it, it is easy to damage the hooks on the actual pad. To replace the actual pad is probably about £15 or £20.

Absolutely bombproof! That's no exaggeration there either, when nuclear bombs and the proceeding fallout devastate the world there will only be cockroaches and Metabo SXE450s roaming the world.

In 25 years of being a French polisher I’ve only ever owned Metabo sanders. I’ve probably had around three, which for a tool used and bounced around nearly every working day, is pretty damn good. I must have replaced base-plates and those concentric bearings a few times on each sander but that’s all. I think you’ll be happy with your purchase.

Interestingly though, Metabo used to be one of those slightly lesser known makes (in the UK) but still capable of holding their own against the second tier other makers: Bosch, Makita, Dewalt etc. Of late though I’ve seen a definite decline in the brand, most notably their sliding mitre saws, which seem pretty poor and the reject/return rate (the Costco returns end up at my local auction house for disposal) seems very high.

marcros":64u06289 said:

treat yourself to one of these before you use it too much https://www.axminster.co.uk/mirka-disc- ... s-ax851925

and I thoroughly recommend using abranet abrasive. If you do, the pad saver is even more important, because without it, it is easy to damage the hooks on the actual pad. To replace the actual pad is probably about £15 or £20.
Thanks Marcros! Ordered, I do intend to use abranet discs so this is perfect.

Have you used it on other materials apart from wood?

It's great reading these opinions, looks like I've bought a decent bit if kit.

sammy.se":1apuzgeo said:
marcros":1apuzgeo said:

Thanks Marcros! Ordered, I do intend to use abranet discs so this is perfect.

Have you used it on other materials apart from wood?

I did use it on a wall to sand back some filler once, but it was a few minute job. The rest of its use has been on wood.

marcros":rj9czzlw said:

I've got this same setup - and it is flawless. Highly recommended.

Me too Sammy, I've had mine a few years and like Marcros would strongly advise the pad savers. I bought a few from a dealer on ebay as well as several boxes of abranet disks so worth shopping around.

Did use mine on a dry lined wall a while back and worked ok though still messy even with a vac attached, have a ceiling patch to do that I've put off for months but it's now a choice of soon or threats of divorce. Sanding is the cheaper option so might get around to it this week. :lol: Or not!

Haha, thanks Lons. Good luck with the ceiling!

I'm scouring (pun intended) eBay for some good abranet prices. I just need a couple of each in a range of grits, rather than a bulk of one grit.

It's always cheaper to buy in bulk but they do last a long time, I bought mainly the higher grits from 240 through to 600 as I was fitting and finishing solid surface kitchen worktops.

These guys might be worth a look for small amounts
https://www.abrasivesplus.com/
but lots of other abrasive suppliers. There was one who used to do mixed packs but can't for the life of me remember who.

Bob

PS
Just remembered that the cheapest suppliers were Auto finishing suppliers so google those as well and check them also on ebay

Back