Just bought a DeWalt scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a budget scroll saw a few years ago and have never really got on with it. Today I bought a DeWalt for £140, with about 15 packe of blades. I tried it out and the difference is amazing, especially the vibration. Anyway it all seems to work, but the dust blower is missing. I think I can knock up something there. But my question is, do you think I did OK at the price? Too late now I know, but just wondering.

K

I don't know this saw myself. Could you post a pic please?

Re dust blower, the easiest & quickest way - NOT expensive either - is to go to your local pet shop and buy an electric pump for aerating fish tanks. The smallest size will do, should be about a fiver. And get a length of neoprene tubing they sell for the pump too, and it then becomes very easy to set up a "nozzle" (a bit of slightly squashed ali tune plus a coil spring around the outside of the whole lot to make it stiff enough to stay where you set it).

HTH

I bought my dewalt scrollsaw about two years since off eBay, I paid 220 With a blower and stand. When I researched there was not many dewalt ones in this country, but I went to view it and it had been well looked after. I think you got a deal.
I do have to admit though that I've hardly used it, nothing wrong with the machine just the projects I've been involved in. You could help me please and tell me the size of blades yours are, I've misplaced mine, Proberly hiding in the bottom of a drawer!

Yes, confirm that 130 mm is the "general standard" for just about all "grown up" saws.

The only exceptions I know of are the Dremel Moto Shop (not been made for some years but still seen sometimes) and the current Dremel little "hand held" machine, plus one or two of the smaller Proxxon machines.

HTH

Assuming its the DeWalt 788

Then £140 is a very good price

They are well regarded in the USA but few and far between in the UK

The Type 1 is regarded better than the type 2 (label on the motor tells you)

There is a very good series of videos on youtube on servicing the Dewalt 788
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNt2Y0ajDwk

That should lead you on to the other parts in the series

The one oddity I find with the DW788 is that it does not have a factory built in method of holding the top arm up, there is an add on bar and many use a block to wedge it up, but you would think that such a fairly expensive saw when new would have that

I have noticed a direct correlation between retirement and the lack of time it provides ;-)

You will get there in the end and enjoy it when you do

Back