Just arrived - knocking noise from Record Bandsaw(updated)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
This has just been delivered this morning - bit of a beast to move. As I'm starting the workshop from scratch again (after a few years gap) I'm buying machinery in stages. Now just hoping Record still have the manual for a BS500 as it's not in the back catalogue on their manual page...

40979236070_d8bc29e44c_k.jpg

Looks a beast! Hope it works well for you. There are lots of forum users with Record bandsaws so hopefully one with a BS500 will pop in shortly and help you out.

I have the same bandsaw and I got a manual from RP by registering on the site and dropping them a message. Came back the same day, which was nice.
You can do that or PM me with an email address and I'll send you a digital copy.

Steve

Thanks for the advice, I rand RP this morning - they were really helpful and emailed one whilst I was on the phone. Great service.

Steliz":2xir02zs said:
I have the same bandsaw and I got a manual from RP by registering on the site and dropping them a message. Came back the same day, which was nice.
You can do that or PM me with an email address and I'll send you a digital copy.

Steve
Thanks RP sent one straight away by email. Appreciate your kind offer though.

There is a knocking noise coming from the bottom wheel of the BS500 when it is running. When you turn the wheel by hand you can hear it slightly but it is much louder when running. There seems to be some ‘Give’ in the bottom wheel so when you turn it by hand it moves forward as it should but rocks back slightly when you stop which causes the noise when it is running . Have a video but not sure how I share it.....

remove the blade and the belt drive to the motor. spin the wheel. if it knocks its a bad bearing.
very common on new chinese equipment. Either send the machine back if its under warranty, or fit new japanese bearings if it isnt. Its a simple job and very cheap.

Thanks, not under warranty- bought second hand and I would guess about nine years old. I will check the wheel

I had to replace the bearings on my NEW axminster 350 bandsaw, both wheels, after barely 20 hours running time. Minimal tools required, good bearings were only a couple pounds each. usually two per wheel.

If the wheel runs free, then check the pulley for splits and cracks (again, only a few quid from any auto parts supplier (yes, I had to replace that as well on mine), if thats good then you might have a motor problem, but unlikely.

sunnybob":14urp2pg said:
I had to replace the bearings on my NEW axminster 350 bandsaw, both wheels, after barely 20 hours running time. Minimal tools required, good bearings were only a couple pounds each. usually two per wheel.

If the wheel runs free, then check the pulley for splits and cracks (again, only a few quid from any auto parts supplier (yes, I had to replace that as well on mine), if thats good then you might have a motor problem, but unlikely.

Bit hit and miss with these things. My 305 axi has done hundreds of hours now I would think, wheel bearing still seem to be in good order. However the bottom wheel had to have a spacer added as from the factory it was on a shaft that was too long.

Guide bearings on the other hand, I am on my second replacement set, they seem to wear out quickly and gum up too. Luckily they are cheap and easy to replace.

The lower guide bearings on mine seize up fairly regularly, but I accept that because I was so fed up with the useless bit of ali that was supposed to guide the dust into the bottom bin I made a full surround and modified the top exhaust outlet to take the dust away. that means the bearings are enclosed in a dust rich environment all the time. But the bearings are so cheap i would rather replace those every so often than deal with the sawdust blowing all around the place.
Soft wood is much worse of course. I've just cut up 44 pieces of the stuff to make two garden chairs, and even the blade is coated with white dust, let alone the bearings.

Back