Just an idea...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst perusing gumtree I came across an add for snowboard wax, would this be suitable for finishing lathe projects? I figure as it's free it could be worth getting.

Whilst perusing gumtree I came across an add for snowboard wax, would this be suitable for finishing lathe projects? I figure as it's free it could be worth getting.
Snow board and surf board wax are generally just cheap wax sold for an extortionate price often based on a catchy name. I’m sure you could use it for finishing but beware of “special” ingredients that may have adverse effects as a finish. I’m thinking surfactant oils for snow boards and abrasive grits for surf boards.

So the board wax wasn't a good idea, thanks for letting me know guys 👍👍👍

Next bright idea 💡 😁
I use a floor scrubbing machine at work and whilst changing the scrubbing pad I had a thought, the material is very much similar to scotchbrite pads, I buy in 3 types for scrubbing, general cleaning and buffing, would these work as part of my sanding and finishing on the lathe.
20211110_103454.jpg

Obviously not the dirty used ones 🙂

I get them through school as Site Manager, the company I use is called hbs, the ones in the pics are old ones, my first step will be to see if I can clean them in the washing machine, the black one is the coarsest one for when I'm stripping the polish off the floor, green is for day to day cleaning, red and white are for buffing, I figure they could have similar effect on final finishing, they come in boxes of 5, diameter is 450mm and they are about 15-20mm thick, cost is about £35 a box.

Yes I used to use them years ago, I found if you soak&wash them in Hot soapy water and leave them to dry they become a little softer to use but still do the same job.
I still have some tucked away and rip a bit off when needed.

Back