Just a reminder about oils and rags ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point.

By pure coincidence, I had a small oil-spill a day or so ago. Refinishing a wooden plane with linseed oil, I stupidly knocked the can over, causing a slick which slithered it's way to the bench edge and onto the floor. Mopping up with kitchen towels didn't take long (lovely finish on benchtop now!), but disposing of about ten sodden sheets of kitchen towel was a bit of a poser - I usually spread them out to dry, then throw them in the bin; but these were too sodden for that. In the end I took them outside onto the edge of the lawn and put a match to them (not going to set fire to the garden this summer!), where they burned steadily for a surprisingly long time, giving off quite a bit of heat.

If they had been allowed to combust in the workshop, they'd have had easily enough fuel in them to get a benchtop alight, and that was just from a couple of fluid ounces spilled.

It's a good point and, like most things about workshop safety, does no harm to remind us all once in a while.

This is something we learned about at marine college but it was always a case of large cotton bails being soaked in the hold, the size of the bail allowed the heat to build up in the centre eventually reaching a temperature that could sustain combustion. Although often talked about in a workshop environment (ie a few rags) I've never seen a case report on it actually happening.

Of course disposing of oil soaked rags is very sensible but I'd love to really know if it happens - anyone able to point me to some reports etc? Cheers

mbartlett99":3diof1y3 said:
T.....
Of course disposing of oil soaked rags is very sensible but I'd love to really know if it happens - anyone able to point me to some reports etc? Cheers
How about the link I started this thread with ..... :wink:

RogerP":1lnp1avs said:
mbartlett99":1lnp1avs said:
T.....
How about the link I started this thread with ..... :wink:

Ah yes, does help to read things doesn't it. Perhaps not being on the forum while nodding off would help too. Thanks. :oops:

Latest posts

Back