Just a 10 minute Planing task brings a good result

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd mention how I spent a little while today.
So take a couple of cheap double sided Tesco Bamboo chopping boards that that been in daily use in my kitchen, cutting bread meat vegetables making tea and whathaveyou and of course they get wiped over scrubbed a bit to keep clean, rarely they get a treat of olive oil/cooking oil or whatever is to hand.
Then stand back today and think wow - grubby numerous cuts marks and stains what a mess must buy some more. Then "ding noise" (well I made that bit up) why not plane both sides and treat them to a quick oil?
So out to the bench and I would like to say wedged in place with a bench stop/planing stop or whatever but I don't have any! So they positioned and wedged nicely between the side of a vice and back of the bench (wall) with a 6" piece of offcut of wood less thick than the chopping board between the wall and the board.
Then taking my Stanley No 3 ( a plane I restored from a severe rust bucket case so its special) which I had sharpened the other day and set to whisper thin, nicely planed away taking little shavings and took the surface down just enough to get the "dirt" off and many of the knife cuts/scratches and ....... super finish smooth like new no other sanding/planing finish treatment needed just a wipe of oil leave for a while to soak in and good to go. Smiles all round.
cheers

I love using a well set-up plane, particularly on end grain, you know when it’s right, and the noise it makes is like no other. So very satisfying, AND you saved buying new ones. Ian

Latest posts

Back