Jury sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many times have you served on a jury?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once

• Twice

• More than twice

• Total voters

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I was watching 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' at the cinema and suddenly realised that there were fourteen people in the US jury and I wondered why the US had 14 and we have 12 (we do, don't we, not ever having been on jury duty)

At least I thought I counted 14 but later that night while reading a book set in the US, they referred to the 13th 'spare man' and so I thought that maybe I'd miscounted and the US system uses 13.

But then, don't ask me why, I read in another book about how there were 14 mugs of coffee lined up for the jurors.

So, question for our US cousins, 13 or 14 in a US jury, or does it depend on State and does anyone know why not 12?

Just curious.

My knowledge is based on John Grisham books.... but IIRC they have a twelve person jury with 2 alternates in case a juror falls ill.

FWIW the book "The Runaway Jury" is way better than the film!

Les.

Apparently jury sizes can differ according to the court, at least that is what I infer from this snippet

"Part IV addresses the diminution of federal civil juries from twelve to six members. It explores the Supreme Court's jury size jurisprudence and the Judicial Conference's recent decision to reject a proposal to reinstate the twelve-person federal civil jury. After elucidating the flaws in the Supreme Court's analysis, Part IV concludes that the six-person civil jury is inferior to the twelve-person panel in satisfying the Seventh Amendment. "

I voted that I had served on a jury, actually is not quite true. I've been called for jury duty and ended up having to attend court each day only to be told that I was not required. Very frustrating!

Scrit

I did jury service once - had a murder trial at the Old Bailey - I quite enjoyed it (that sounds a bit twisted but you know what I mean :?). At the same time the Kenneth Noye case was on (the M25 road rage murder) - there was very high security. I was glad I wasn't on that case.
Cheers
Gidon

I have been called to jury service NINE times!!
Actually served four times and had to stay for two. Very boring. After strong protestation was released from the others.
On one case I was sat in the tea room before hand and three girls were discussing what they spent the money on from the proceeds of a theft.
In court the judge dismissed the jury and gave a verdict of not guilty!

Aldel

Spent 3 months on Jury duty, (fraud case) obtained exemption from further service. Better than any course on business studies and finance control.

Amusing thing was:
Two of the jurors were later prosecuted for fraudulent expenses claims.
They did not have the sense to realise that we were all being monitored (followed & watched) to prevent subversion.

Scrit":1e7mhs1d said:
I voted that I had served on a jury, actually is not quite true. I've been called for jury duty and ended up having to attend court each day only to be told that I was not required. Very frustrating!

Scrit

Snap :(

I have been called twice but only served once, they do seem to call loads of extras as both sides appear to be able to reject a number of people from serving.

DaveL":28i9b3za said:
I have been called twice but only served once, they do seem to call loads of extras as both sides appear to be able to reject a number of people from serving.

As in 'Knock..knock'.

'Knock knock who?'

'Michael Jackson'

'Michael Jackson who?'

'You're on the jury'.

Back