Junior Whitehead saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it does not.

By the way, I would not put a SIP in the same bracket as a Startrite, in any respect but blade size!

LJM, are you sure? I’ve no experience with the saw type but the photos show a arc feature with what like to be degrees on, and the end of the arbor runs in an elongate oval. Both suggest a tilting movement.

However, how the blade slot in the table is very narrow. Which would suggest a non tilting blade. A conundrum!

Looks like a nice condition saw though! Can you go see it in person, or message the seller to confirm?

There is another one on eBay 3phase fir £150 and the buyer states the table tilts and nor the saw.
I think I'll keep looking!

Cheers James

Screenshot_20211230-042646_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for that disrecomendation!!

Kity 619/axi ok?

Cheers James

Kity, Axminster and SIP are all perfectly good. But my understanding is that Kity was made for hobbiests, and they’re all engineered to a price; there was a recent thread on there about SIP saw woes! The top end Axminster machines are a different matter.

Some of the small models from Axminster are popular, particularly amongst those with limited space. However it baffles me how often I see people have constructed big benches and extensions for these machines; that’s time and money that could have been put into a better machine in the first place! And there are some small machines from Startrite, for example.

If I were buying second hand I would look for an SCM, Wadkin, Startrite etc, which will be a better saw and hold their value better than used Kity, SIP, Axminster etc.

Roughly speaking:
c. £500, a scruffy but working machine (give it a little TLC and you’ll have a good machine), or a 3phase bargain
c. £750, a good example, significantly better than a used SIP, Axminster, iTech etc
c. £1000, a very nice example, with bells and whistles such as a slider, perhaps extractor included and so on

You’re going to need to move, (partly) disassemble/re-assemble and adjust any machine, new or second hand, so the investment of time and effort into a used machine isn’t necessarily that much greater than a new machine.

Kity, Axminster and SIP are all perfectly good. But my understanding is that Kity was made for hobbiests, and they’re all engineered to a price; there was a recent thread on there about SIP saw woes! The top end Axminster machines are a different matter.

Some of the small models from Axminster are popular, particularly amongst those with limited space. However it baffles me how often I see people have constructed big benches and extensions for these machines; that’s time and money that could have been put into a better machine in the first place! And there are some small machines from Startrite, for example.

If I were buying second hand I would look for an SCM, Wadkin, Startrite etc, which will be a better saw and hold their value better than used Kity, SIP, Axminster etc.

Roughly speaking:
c. £500, a scruffy but working machine (give it a little TLC and you’ll have a good machine), or a 3phase bargain
c. £750, a good example, significantly better than a used SIP, Axminster, iTech etc
c. £1000, a very nice example, with bells and whistles such as a slider, perhaps extractor included and so on

You’re going to need to move, (partly) disassemble/re-assemble and adjust any machine, new or second hand, so the investment of time and effort into a used machine isn’t necessarily that much greater than a new machine.
Thanks for the detailed information.

Cheers James

Back