June Woodturning Challenge - THE RESULTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are the results of the June Challenge, scored by Richard Findley and the Challenge entrants:-

Judges Scoring:

1st KimG - Lovely work, well thought out, well finished. Lovely! - 10 Points

2nd Dalboy - A tough call for 1st and 2nd, this lovely bowl is a very close second, love the Weissflog lid! The only thing that really separates the 2 is that the recess is visible on Dalboys and Kim has removed the holding point! - 8 Points

3rd Dennisk- good use of a stunning piece of timber. Very neat pattern of holes. Very well executed work. - 6 Points

4th Sammo - Purple isn't my colour, but that doesn't take away from a well finished piece of turning work, just a few little marks on the lid showing evidence of a chuck holding point not fully cleaned up or perhaps marks from the drill chuck? Otherwise, very good - 4 Points

5th Wybrook - A very neat idea. I think you know where you can improve on it and if you make another it will be even better, but a very good effort, well thought out. - 2 Points

All other entrants get 1 Point each

Just a note re Random Orbit Bob - Sorry, your entry is lovely but as you said yourself, I don't think it passes the test as a pot pourri bowl. Totally understand your reasoning as Walnut is a favourite of mine too, and it look like you have a lovely piece there. You still get your point for entering though!

Over all, a good standard of work, and I think everyone that enters is showing improvement on previous work. I would like to see chuck holding points removed and tidied more though please - this is a competition after all, so looking for high end finish.

Well done all that entered, keep up the good work!!

Entrants' Scores

A clear top three this month and not surprisingly it is the same top three as scored by Richard:-

1st - KimG, 5 points
2nd= DennisK, 4 points
2nd= Dalboy, 4 points
4th- Wybrook, 2 points
5th- Grahamshed, 1 point

Overall Scores

1st Place and winner of this month's plaque, with 15 points - KimG =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
2nd place, with 12 points - Dalboy
3rd place, with 10 points - DennisK
Equal 4th place, with 4 points, Sammo and Wybrook

Table of Scores for the year to date

Dennisk 52
Dalboy 41
Sheptonphil 34
Random Orbital Bob 27
KimG 24
nev 24
heatherw 18
sammo 16
tpot 14
woodmonkey 11
Grahamshed 10
wybrook 10
swb58 8
winemaker 8
procell 7
Soylent1 5
NickWelford 3
Tazmaniandevil 3
Vic Perrin 2
gregmcateer 1
jethro 1
Melinda_dd 1
Rich Morgan 1
SteveF 1

I will post the rules for the July Challenge later today.

Thanks and well done to all who entered - some really good turnings this month. =D> =D>

Wow, 1st win!! So pleased, especially with such stiff competition. Well done all who had a go. :)

Congratulations KimG on a great win. To be honest I did not expect a second maybe a third :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would also like to congratulate all those new to turning who had the courage to take part and turned out some very good pieces and look forward to seeing more of what you can produce, this is a great way to improve and have fun at the same time.

Thanks to all who entered and organized. As soon as I saw KimG's entry I figured I was fighting for second. Great finish and good idea. Please support this challenge, it makes you a better turner. You cant always agree with the judge, but with the entrants voting its proof that the best entrants should win. Well done to all and thanks again Richard.

Well done everyone. I must be getting my eye in, I got the first three right.

Thanks to Mike and Richard.

well i tried :)

i didn't expect much as was only my 4th bowl
i am going to bin my lid..but i really liked my bowl so will be a keeper

looking forward to next months

Steve

Well 4th... I am pretty pleased, bit like Steve F - I was not happy with the lid, struggled with the drill wandering, and yes there were chuck marks on the underside of the lid (well spotted) but i couldn't work out how to hold it.

Have to agree that purple is not my colour either - but you have to go with the customer 'requirements' and my daughter thought that the wood was very 'boring' and unfortunately I had to agree.

Roll on the July challenge.

Thanks to everyone for their time and effort - these challenges are a real joy.

Thanks to everyone who took part and especially those of you who must have voted for me. Not quite sure how I got joint fourth, but I'm not complaining !

Like others I'm not sure the lid will last much longer, but I'm pretty happy with the bowl given it's only the second I've ever made.

No idea what I'll do for July as I've never been very artistic, but I'll try and come up with something !

Well done everyone. I didn't get an entry in this month, for various reasons. I will have a look at the July challenge later and see what can be done. I'm now back to a few hours a week in the shed so hopefully the time available will allow me to give it a bash.

Well done to all from me too, quantity may have been down a bit but not the quality.
I can't get a clear run at my lathe this time of year because of the strimmer, lawnmower and all the other things that come out of hibernation for the summer months.

I've got the blanks in mind for one month's challenge but because of the species they'll have to wait until the December challenge. Hope to have a few entries between now and then though

Good effort everyone I didn't see that deadline coming unfortunately but will try and have a go at July's challenge (as long as Bodrighy isn't entering, in which case we should just give him the plaque now!)

Well done to all who entered. I'm quite glad I didn't submit a piece this month as the overall standard was so high! I'd best make some time to get in the workshop for next month's challenge.

henton49er":tnmt8rwx said:
Here are the results of the June Challenge, scored by Richard Findley and the Challenge entrants:-

Judges Scoring:

1st KimG - Lovely work, well thought out, well finished. Lovely! - 10 Points

2nd Dalboy - A tough call for 1st and 2nd, this lovely bowl is a very close second, love the Weissflog lid! The only thing that really separates the 2 is that the recess is visible on Dalboys and Kim has removed the holding point! - 8 Points

3rd Dennisk- good use of a stunning piece of timber. Very neat pattern of holes. Very well executed work. - 6 Points

4th Sammo - Purple isn't my colour, but that doesn't take away from a well finished piece of turning work, just a few little marks on the lid showing evidence of a chuck holding point not fully cleaned up or perhaps marks from the drill chuck? Otherwise, very good - 4 Points

5th Wybrook - A very neat idea. I think you know where you can improve on it and if you make another it will be even better, but a very good effort, well thought out. - 2 Points

All other entrants get 1 Point each

Just a note re Random Orbit Bob - Sorry, your entry is lovely but as you said yourself, I don't think it passes the test as a pot pourri bowl. Totally understand your reasoning as Walnut is a favourite of mine too, and it look like you have a lovely piece there. You still get your point for entering though!

Over all, a good standard of work, and I think everyone that enters is showing improvement on previous work. I would like to see chuck holding points removed and tidied more though please - this is a competition after all, so looking for high end finish.

Well done all that entered, keep up the good work!!

Entrants' Scores

A clear top three this month and not surprisingly it is the same top three as scored by Richard:-

1st - KimG, 5 points
2nd= DennisK, 4 points
2nd= Dalboy, 4 points
4th- Wybrook, 2 points
5th- Grahamshed, 1 point

Overall Scores

1st Place and winner of this month's plaque, with 15 points - KimG =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
2nd place, with 12 points - Dalboy
3rd place, with 10 points - DennisK
Equal 4th place, with 4 points, Sammo and Wybrook

Table of Scores for the year to date

Dennisk 52
Dalboy 41
Sheptonphil 34
Random Orbital Bob 27
KimG 24
nev 24
heatherw 18
sammo 16
tpot 14
woodmonkey 11
Grahamshed 10
wybrook 10
swb58 8
winemaker 8
procell 7
Soylent1 5
NickWelford 3
Tazmaniandevil 3
Vic Perrin 2
gregmcateer 1
jethro 1
Melinda_dd 1
Rich Morgan 1
SteveF 1

I will post the rules for the July Challenge later today.

Thanks and well done to all who entered - some really good turnings this month. =D> =D>
Would it be possible to have pictures of the turnings with the results?

Regards Keith

Back