June 2012 Challenge ( THe Results ) and comments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have the results from Richard for the June Challenge and they are as follows with Richards comments :-

Mod edit:-- June Rounduphttp://www.quest42.co.uk/woodwork/forum/2012Files/jun2012.htm

A tough one to judge this month. Most months I am judging on the turning and the quality of the work, this month, because of the broad brief, there is a lot more to take into account. I need to judge the quality of each part, so the different styles of work, from pyro to paint to off set work, as well as if it works as a wall hanging. I think everyone has done a fine job, especially as there were so many blank 'looks' going on when a wall hanging was announced as the subject!! :lol:

1st -and 6 points - Hesh - Fantastically simple and yet there is more to it than meets the eye. Very original concept, very well made.

2nd - and 5 points - Blister - A very eye catching wall hanging. Very well excecuted and again, a very original twist on a the idea.

3rd - and 4 points - Duncanh - I have always been impressed by this style of work. There are a number of issues to overcome and it looks to have been very well done. I also like the mirror idea to show up the pattern. Clever thinking.

4th - and 3 points - Woodspoiler - A very simple bit of turning, set off by some lovely celtic pyro. Excellent finish, well presented.

5th - and 2 points - CambournPete - Another very eye catching wall hanging. An excellent finish has been achieved on what can't have been an easy piece of wood to work. Good restraint been shown, it would have been easy to over do the design, but I think you got the ballance right between decoration and simplicity.

Some really good work shown all round again. A couple of entries only just missing out on a place as is often the case.

Well done all.

I am, as usual, happy to offer critique either on the open forum or via PM.

Cheers

Richard

All other entry's receive 1 point each

Once again thank you for supporting the challenge , I was impressed by the variation in this months entry's and would like to congratulate all who entered =D>

Well done everyone. Some really lovely work.
I wouldn't have been able to choose the winners

Me.... Ashamed to say it is all about motivation i just can't seem to muster up any!
I've forgot what my lathe looks like!

Its just like the F1 grand prix - a fresh winner every month :mrgreen: keeping it open for everyone.
Well done to all that managed to prise something from the imagination, a difficult one this month (for me anyhoo :oops: ), and more than one item created that i'd like to be hanging on my wall.

Congrats to Hesh =D> , pm me your address and i'll get the medal in the post :D

Congrats to all the placers, esp. Hesh, and hat's off to some of the non-placers with some lovely pieces created in the face of a very difficult challenge, who'd have thought more freedom would make it harder?

I'm glad I don't have to judge! Well done to all, Too close to call on nearly all the pieces IMO.

I have to say I'm Gobsmacked to have come first this month, it made my day. Congratulations to everyone who entered and as has already been said there was a wide range of styles on show which I suppose is as a result of the wide brief . Thanks again to everyone who's involved with this, especially Richard for judging which can never be easy. Cant wait for next months brief.

Regards

Steve

Congrats. to all in thetop five, would'nt disagree with the judge a very difficult task for him . Some really great work on show. Despite the wide ranging brief I think that in the majority of entrys, turning was in the main a major part of the entrys .For my own part I feel very privliged to have got one point this month. Well done to all who made the effort.

Congratulations to the winners, and to all those who submitted work, all of which looked a very high standard. Hesh, I think you are thoroughly deserving of the winner's position; clearly the standout piece in my humble opinion. I was a little disappointed not to get an honourable mention - but there's always next month!!!

My thanks to Richard for the judging and to Blister for the organisation.

Back