July coloured rings , POST PHOTOS HERE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, out project for the 2012 July Challenge is 5 Coloured Rings

Having read in several newspapers that the unothorised and un licensed use of the Olympic trademark has led to requests to stop and remove any reference to the Olympics and threats of prosecution if you fail to do so

I have decided that this month’s challenge is to make 5 coloured wooden rings

Please do not sell you wooden rings
Please do not use the rings for any type of promotion or profit making

Our Judge for July will be Paul

Must be New work for this Challenge , no dusty relics :mrgreen:

The 5 Coloured rings can be made from any wood , Ply or MDF , No other material type

The rings can be standing up mounted on a turned base
The rings can be suspended from above ( hanging down )
The rings can be fixed to a turned backing support

The method of Standing / suspending / mounting is open to your own interpretation

ALL elements of the challenge must be turned on a lathe ( Excluding the line of text above )

The rings Can be any size small or large

Please use the following colours , one of each , Blue , Black , ORANGE , Yellow , Green , So they are not exactly the same as another events colours

Colouring / texturing allowed

No Multiple segmented turning

Any entry's that are outside the rules and requirements will not be judged

The Judges decision is final ( Any negative comments re judging must be via PM only and not on the open forum )

NO Critique or comments on any work until August Please, After the Judging and results.

Please state material types used if known, dimensions and a little about how you made it and what tools and finish you used ( this helps the judge )

Please post 3 images of your work / entry showing it best features ,

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same previous months

When your entry is ready please go to our new scoreboard http://ukwturningcomp.co.uk/

Log in to your account and mark yourself as ready by 10 pm on the 26th July after this time the scoreboard will be locked

Entry’s to be uploaded from 10pm on 27th July up until 10pm on the 29th July . after this time the thread will be locked for Judging

Results will be given on or before 31st July

Good luck everyone :D

Here is my July entry.

The hardest thing this month was 'what' rather than 'how'.

What has five round objects on?? Trains or cars came immediately to mind and in spite of it in no way being linked to that other thing, a racing car said competition, so car it was. Did it fit the specs though?

Five rings in the right five colours - check
Rings in torus section (tyres are) - check
Fixed to turned background (body) - check
Other turned bits - marginal but as part of background should be OK!

Made of sapele I think. If you ask for anything else but the usual home grown hardwoods out here it is 'bois exotique'. Anyway, its one of the cheap mahogany substitutes left over from making doors.

Body was turned with roughing gouge and scraper, a flat planed on the bottom and then clamped to a block of scrap and the cockpit, rad and tail areas bandsawed off and sanded. Wheels and steering wheel turned with skew and parting tool. The wheels are pinned and glued on so no going "vroom vroom" with this one.

No finish on the wood, just sanded and mopped, has the sheen that I like. Wheels were painted with gouache. Orange is a bit muddy but its a mix. (might paint it red after to see if it looks better!!!) Its 200mm long by 85mm wide and 50mm to the top of the steering wheel.

I have wanted to do something like this ever since I saw Nev's entry to the toy section last year. More coming I suspect as is Christmas at the gallery!

Naturally enough, as its not that other event, this car is entered by Team Titan, nothing like a plucky loser?

Attachments

• Team Titan 3.jpg
    Team Titan 3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,747
  • Team Titan 2.jpg
    Team Titan 2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,747
  • Team Titan 1.jpg
    Team Titan 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,746
Hi,

Here is my entry. I thought turning balls was bad, but rings arhh. :lol: and then trying to paint them, I don't know whats worse my turing or painting!

The rings where made out of oak offcuts I had. I think I just used a roughing gouge, parting tool and a ring forming tool. There does look like there are 2 black rings, one is a very dark green which the photographs make look black. (That's my excuse, and i'm sticking to it)

Rings 1.jpg

Rings 2.jpg

Rings 3.jpg

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers

Attachments

• Rings 1.jpg
    Rings 1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,842
  • Rings 2.jpg
    Rings 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,845
  • Rings 3.jpg
    Rings 3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,742
Here is my entry for July – 5 coloured rings. This was a truly Olym......, I mean Herculean task!!

All 5 rings were turned from one blank of lime. The rings are all 100mm outside diameter and 4mm in thickness. The rings were turned using a ¼” spindle gouge and a 3mm parting tool, with some added help from a beading tool to part off. The rings were sanded from 180 to 320 whilst attached to the blank and the sanding completed by hand (very carefully as they were prone to breaking) when parted off. The rings were then coloured using Chestnut spirit stains, applied by airbrush. One coat of satin acrylic lacquer was then sprayed onto each ring.

The base is from a small piece of pippy alder and is 125mm in diameter. This was turned using a ½” bowl gouge, and sanded from 150 to 400. It was finished with cellulose sanding sealer and then buffed with a Chestnut buffing system.

Attachments

• P1020707.JPG
    P1020707.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,715
  • P1020700.JPG
    P1020700.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,716
  • P1020697.JPG
    P1020697.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,716
Fingers crossed.
Originally turned as a trembleur-like upright thingy, the 'Burj El Kebab' as it became known about the house :) , due to a re-reading of the requirements, suffered a quick re-design and is now a well balanced pointy trophy style thing with rings suspended from a cross member. [-o<

Made from sycamore (i think) oak and ash. Main body and captive rings all done with spindle gouges, started between centres, then held in chuck by base and supported the pointy end with a home-made tailstock adapter. Then turned and finished in sections from the pointy end to the base - no going back!
Thickness of stem between balls is about 5 - 6mm.
Base turned from ash , chestnut ebonising lacquer, and a light waxing.
Then the oak support was turned with a dished top for one of the balls to rest in. It was then of course unbalanced, so a 5mm hole was drilled into what was the base end of pointy thing and a counterbalance turned from ash, with a spigot turned to fit in the hole. Then it was a case of shape, test, reshape, etc. until the balance was correct. push fit into hole.

It can be positioned at any angle and sits quite comfortably in its socket. and can also be used as a spin the bottle type thingy to settle whose doing the washing up.

nearly forgot - rings coloured with acrylic paints then a coat of clear lacquer.

lympic1.JPG

lympic3.JPG

lympic5.JPG

Attachments

• lympic5.JPG
    lympic5.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,701
  • lympic3.JPG
    lympic3.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 1,702
  • lympic1.JPG
    lympic1.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,702
Rings turned out of maple and coloured with Sharpies. Base turned of bubinga. The whole lot sprayed with lacquer. The 3 steps on the base represent the 3 po de ums(lol). Rings turned using a parting tool then a ring tool off a disc and the base turned with a bowl gouge. Rings are 4 1/4" in diam and the base is 4 7/8" diam with a height of 5 1/4" . Thanks

Attachments

• P1010974.JPG
    P1010974.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,668
  • P1010975.JPG
    P1010975.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,669
  • P1010977.JPG
    P1010977.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,668
Here's mine. I had a few ideas but little enthusiasm until the middle of the week when I came up with a new idea. Then it was just a rush to finish it in time...

The 8cm rings are ash and coloured with acrylic paint applied with a sponge so they have a rough texture. No sealer was applied so you can see the grain if you look closely.
The centre is a piece of ebony with a pattern applied to both sides with a chatter tool. This pattern was then highlighted with gold guilt cream - this representes a medal.
The base is birdseye maple.
The joints are some random dense hard wood from the shelf.

The base and centre are finished with acrylic lacquer. The rings are left with a paint finish for contrast.

Total height 22cm
Max width 19cm

Attachments

• R0013060-Edit-Edit.jpg
    R0013060-Edit-Edit.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,666
  • R0013064.jpg
    R0013064.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,665
  • R0013063-Edit.jpg
    R0013063-Edit.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,665
Here is my entry for the rings challenge.
Size 500mm long by 240mm high. turned from sycamore.
The base was turned as a hoop, cut in half and rejoined with one half reversed. The rings were held with double sided tape on a wooden faceplatefor turning and fixed to the base with brass rod.
Finished with acrylic paints.
rings1.jpg

rings3.jpg

rings2.jpg

Ian

Attachments

• rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,761
  • rings2.jpg
    rings2.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 1,734
  • rings3.jpg
    rings3.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,720
Here's my effort.
I've now had much time this month and lacked inspiration so it's a bit simple.

The rings are all turned on the supporting back (there's nowt in the rules against this). After sanding I sprayed it all with ebonising lacquer and then lightly skimmed the rings again. Finally colouring was done with felt pens.

Attachments

• rings3.jpg
    rings3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,493
  • rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,493
  • rings2.jpg
    rings2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,492
Status
Not open for further replies.