July Challenge " Decorated Platter " Discussion thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only a tiny sip mini lathe 01492.
I've probably over used it and burnt it out. They're not really meant for the amount of time and abuse I use it for (Min of 4hrs constant, sat and sun....plus week nights after work, while it's the college holiday)
It was second hand when I got hold of it so perhaps it's just had enough.

Magma... I saw one of those at the euro wood work convention at cressing temple last year.... I was scared to get too close compared to my dinky toy!!

Melinda_dd":2h8gn846 said:
It's only a tiny sip mini lathe 01492.
I've probably over used it and burnt it out. They're not really meant for the amount of time and abuse I use it for (Min of 4hrs constant, sat and sun....plus week nights after work, while it's the college holiday)
It was second hand when I got hold of it so perhaps it's just had enough.

Magma... I saw one of those at the euro wood work convention at cressing temple last year.... I was scared to get too close compared to my dinky toy!!

That's my lathe that you viewed at the show ,

I collected it Sunday when the show ended :mrgreen:

Sorry everybody - looks like I wont have an entry this month.

I have been working on a platter for the last two weeks but disaster has struck and it decided that it wanted to be in lots of pieces instead of the usual one piece.

It was my first go at a platter and I really enjoyed the process (design and turning), just a pity I have nothing to enter :-(

Lesson to take away is get going quicker so that there is time to re-start if required!

Good luck everyone

Andy

tpot":1gfhtkvg said:

I have been working on a platter for the last two weeks but disaster has struck and it decided that it wanted to be in lots of pieces instead of the usual one piece.

It was my first go at a platter and I really enjoyed the process (design and turning), just a pity I have nothing to enter :-(

Lesson to take away is get going quicker so that there is time to re-start if required!

Good luck everyone

Andy

Sorry to see you had problems :(

tpot":2z9eysia said:

Good luck everyone

Andy
Can you not make a feature of the failure - e.g. stitch togther with stainless wire or leather, glue together with epoxy and metal powder etc?

miles_hot":14zas6or said:
tpot":14zas6or said:

Good luck everyone

Andy
Can you not make a feature of the failure - e.g. stitch togther with stainless wire or leather, glue together with epoxy and metal powder etc?

Miles

In our revised rules and requirements

Our judge Barry has asked for the following :-

The Judges requirements

The platter must be lathe turned and must be decorated ( any undecorated entry's will not be judged )
The platter must be a Platter and not a bowl ( entry's that look more like bowls with raised rims will not be judged )
Decoration allowed in this challenge will be as listed below
1, Carving
2, Piercing
3, Colouring
4, Burning ( Including Pyro work )
5, Texturing

Hygiene will not be part of the Judging as the completed platter could be used purely as a decorative / artistic table center piece

I will be judging the artistic / design elements and quality of workmanship of the completed platter

I was going to use alternative types of decoration but decided to only use whats required in the rules

You could try entering it but Barry may not judge your entry if its outside the requirements

Allen

Blister":1d30isua said:
I was going to use alternative types of decoration but decided to only use whats required in the rules
I answer to earlier questions in this thread you implied that inlay would be acceptable.

I hope that is still the case as that's what I've used. :)

I just blew up my entry. That looks a bit odd.....er........sounds like I have been using a air blower for something odd !!!!!

Anyway, I broke my July platter, so must get a move on now, only got a day, I think !!!

Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back