July Challenge " Decorated Platter " Discussion thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Please use this thread for and discussion regarding this months challenge

Entrants List

babylon355
Blister ( Ready )
Bodrighy
callumlovatt ( Ready )
cambournepete
chill
Chris357
Chrisp
clk230
como ( Ready )
Daven
dennisk ( Ready )
DougieH
duncanh ( Ready )
Dust Busker
Elaine ( Withdrawn )
gus3049 ( Ready )
Haldane ( Ready )
Hudson Carpentry ( Ready )
johnny.t. ( Withdrawn )
Jonzjob ( Ready )
Jumps ( Ready )
Leo
liamscanlan
loz
maltrout512
matmac
Melinda_dd ( Withdrawn )
miles_hot ( Withdrawn )
monkeybiter
myturn ( Ready )
nev ( Ready )
not_simple_si
Oakbear
OldWood
Paul.J ( Withdrawn )
philb88
Pvt_Ryan
RATWOOD ( Ready )
RO
Silverbirch
skeetoids ( Withdrawn )
spasm
steve66
SVB
tekno.mage
tinytim1458
TheTiddles
tpot ( Withdrawn )
whacky
Wood spoiler ( Ready )

I think that looks brilliant.

Concise and leaving no room for complaint from even the most bolshie of entrants - whoever that is.

Terrific, I am so pleased this is carrying on. =D>

gus3049":35d7qkjt said:
Concise and leaving no room for complaint from even the most bolshie of entrants - whoever that is.
You? :mrgreen:

So I am assuming that there is no longer a restriction that the majority of the surface be flat and that a slight curve is permitted.

myturn":gjl8kgq9 said:
gus3049":gjl8kgq9 said:

So I am assuming that there is no longer a restriction that the majority of the surface be flat and that a slight curve is permitted.

Correct , as long as it does NOT look like a bowl , you do the design element :wink:

tekno.mage":n3ne7oka said:
I'm not entirely sure what defines a platter to be a platter, rather than a very shallow open bowl...
We could refer you to about 500 posts on previous months challenges!!!

But we won't. ITS A PLATE. Basically, I understand that to mean the the whole bottom of the business bit must be flat rather than dished. The transition to the rim (if there is one) could be curved.

But then I looked at Blister's reply to MyTurn!! Humph.

Blister":33ld5owh said:
myturn":33ld5owh said:
gus3049":33ld5owh said:

Correct , as long as it does NOT look like a bowl , you do the design element :wink:
No more questions your honour! :-#

tekno.mage":pmm04wkm said:
I'm not entirely sure what defines a platter to be a platter, rather than a very shallow open bowl...

Kym

For this challenge Barry's requirements are for a Platter and to NOT look like a bowl

Example photos

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 927
  • maddock_england_platter.JPG
    maddock_england_platter.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 927
Thanks guys - a plate it is. I only asked as I've seen pieces described as platters that I would have called bowls in the past (ie the centre hollow was curved and quite deep, but the aspect ratio of the whole piece was wide and shallow).

Hygiene is not a requirement but is utility? Does it have to look like a plate and one that you could serve stuff off as some things which are designed to be shown as pure art (cut up platters etc) are often called platters (when some might call them wall hangings etc) :)

miles_hot":sun4y0rt said:
Hygiene is not a requirement but is utility? Does it have to look like a plate and one that you could serve stuff off as some things which are designed to be shown as pure art (cut up platters etc) are often called platters (when some might call them wall hangings etc) :)

As long as the top face resembles a platter and not a bowl the design element is with the entrant

Jonzjob":37lemlua said:
Mine is ready Mr Blister!!

It's niether a blatter or a powl either! It matches your requirements perfectly 8) 8)

My first one was oak, but I burnt it and it turned to ash #-o #-o #-o

We seem to have a second challenge going on here!! Last monh it was me and now its him.

Next month I'm doing mine before Allen announces the requirements.

gus3049":29wnfboe said:
Jonzjob":29wnfboe said:

It's niether a blatter or a powl either! It matches your requirements perfectly 8) 8)

We seem to have a second challenge going on here!! Last monh it was me and now its him.

You up early as well then :lol:

Blister":3r554eyf said:
gus3049":3r554eyf said:
Jonzjob":3r554eyf said:

You up early as well then :lol:

Indeed, I seem to be catching whatever you've got although I do get more than a few hours generally. I only have to turn at the wrong angle and the back informs me that its time to rise and walk about a bit, whilst I'm up I usually make a coffee and with coffee I like something to eat and that sort of wakes me up enough to say the day has started.

Off to workshop. Can't start the lathe as the wife is still asleep and the noise starts the chickens off in the barn!! I have some furniture to veneer. Should be able to do that quietly.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I turned a beautiful platter on Saturday ready to decorate.

Went and had a look today and and it has twisted to ****.

Really galling as I had paid good money to get a "seasoned" blank.

That will teach me not to be tempted away from my usual supplier.

Wood spoiler":20qp68t7 said:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I turned a beutiful platter on Saturday ready to decorate.

Went and had a look today and and it has twisted to ****.

Really galling as I had paid good money to get a "seasoned" blank.

That will teach me not to be tempted away from my usual supplier.

Colin , its not always the moisture content that causes this to happen , when cutting a blank you are altering the stress within the wood and as it relaxes this can happen

That's why most turners leave work oversize for a month or 2 and re turn to a finished size when all has settled down

Still a pain when it does happen :(

Blister":2u6chju1 said:
[Colin , its not always the moisture content that causes this to happen , when cutting a blank you are altering the stress within the wood and as it relaxes this can happen

That's why most turners leave work oversize for a month or 2 and re turn to a finished size when all has settled down

Still a pain when it does happen :(

I agree and when I do the larger bowls and things I do exactly that.

I "assumed" that with a platter and not much being taken away from the guts that it would not have the "stress" to relieve, in the same way that you do in a bowl. Proving the old "Ass/u/me" adage well - it certainly made an ass of me anyway!

Problem is .... we only get to know the rules at the start of the month. To comply with the interpretation given of a "platter" none of my resting blanks would suit.

As an aside I did a large Oak blank (obtained from the woodpile - not as a blank)to rest a while back that is now on "Display" at John Davis Woodturning. It has the dubious distinction of being the most moved blank ever. It looks more like a saddle than a blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back