July 2012 5 Coloured rings Challenge ( Discussion thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well bang goes my original idea........I knew I should've waited for the brief. Luckily it's only on paper at the moment so no harm done.

When I saw the original heading I did wonder how we were going to get round the OIC's over zealous attitude towards their logo and to be honest I still think we are sailing close to the wind with this one. The fact that we've been asked not to sell or use what is made may be the deciding factor here but there are plenty of stories about regarding the authorities clamping down on the five rings being used even in the most abstract way.

Right I'm back to the drawing board once I've scratched my head for another idea.......

Good luck everyone.

Steve

On the rules, it says

Log in to your account and mark yourself as ready by 10 pm on the 26th June after this time the scoreboard will be locked

Shouldn't that be July?

Corrected CHJ

mr blister sir ,
do the rings have to be hoops i.e. round in cross section like a torus/ doughnut?

torus3.gif

or can they be square faced (like a polo) ?

mint.jpg

or tapered ?

tapered-ring-spacer.jpg

and am i correct in thinking the finished article need not necessarily be representative of a certain sporting event taking part in london this year

:wink: I think i can foresee the reply - as long as its ring shaped!?

do the rings have to be hoops i.e. round in cross section like a torus/ doughnut?

Yes

and am i correct in thinking the finished article need not necessarily be representative of a certain sporting event taking part in london this year

Correct , no need to look like the other event rings

gus3049":ksexwdqs said:
Mine's ready but the scoreboard isn't!! 8)

I haven't been able to get onto the scoreboard site for quite a few days, now (only to look at the scoreboard - my entry for July is not started yet, let alone ready!).

Can it have other turned 'bits' included in the entry?...... as long as there are the 5 coloured rings in there somewhere?

Melinda_dd":2s2iz03p said:
Can it have other turned 'bits' included in the entry?...... as long as there are the 5 coloured rings in there somewhere?

If those parts are relevant to the display / Mounting of the rings , Yes

Tried turning my first ever ring last night.... !! Any tips anyone!!!
i don't have any fancy tools... Spindle gauge skew etc

Melinda_dd":3s30le5l said:
Tried turning my first ever ring last night.... !! Any tips anyone!!!
i don't have any fancy tools... Spindle gauge skew etc

captive ring or free standing curtain type ring)?

I am no expert and i am sure there are other, better ways... but when doing a captive ring , after turning blank to cylinder i simply use a thin parting tool to the approx depth (10mm?) either side of the 'ring', then shape the top 3/4's with a spindle gouge, sand and finish if need be, then using the parting tool or thin spindle gouge gently shape the inside of the ring incrementally from each side till it parts off. then finish shaping with small length of abrasive(s) shoe shine style - threaded behind ring and each end held in a different hand and move back and forth (the rounder it gets the quicker it spins.)

a lot easier to do than explain how to do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back