Jukebox with hidden compartment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSP101

Reaction score
Hi there,
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new here.

I'm looking to create something like out of the video game L.A. Noire

A radio/jukebox with a hidden compartment. I know how do do the woodworking, but I was wondering if any of you could recommend what sort of mechanism I could use to open the secret compartment?

Search Youtube, L.A. Noire Walkthrough The Black Caesar Part 2 (I can't post links)

From 6:17 onwards.

Thank you so much
John

I'd like to turn the knob so that it would open, the radio won't actually work, I'm going to put in a small pc and touch screen hidden behind a door, I'd just like the vintage look of that sort of radio.

Thanks for adding the link!

I don't know of any particular off the shelf product that would do the deal, but a simple mechanism to release a catch and have the top door on sprung hinges.

If your really keen on making something bespoke with interactive features, look in Arduino, its a programmable board, very easy to use that can have buttons and motors hooked upto do things on certain presses etc.

If you want it powered, have the knob operate a microswitch and the microswitch drive a solenoid to release the catch. If you have three knobs with microswitches wired in series, you can arrange it so that all three need to be in specific positions before it will work.

microswitch.png

Obviously, rotate the shaft until you get the positions you want. The precision of the knob position will depend on how rigid you make the mounting arrangements and the steepness of the notch. You can usually bend those roller arms with care if you need to, and swivel the microswitch before you put the second screw in.

I'd put a mechanical release at the back of the unit, say a piece of cord, in case the batteries go flat (or whatever).

This is the ideal sort of microswitch to use:

Don't put mains through anything like that, and you can get suitable 12V solenoids from old printers, etc. or possibly eBay (haven't looked).

HTH,

E.

PS: forgot to say: if you search eBay for "Bakelite knob" you'll find loads of them. They almost always had 1/4" shafts (and imperial-threaded grub screws!), so the retro look should be fairly easy. Potentiometers (volume controls, etc.) usually come with fairly long shafts, so you could mount them well behind the panel and put your discs on the spindles, between the pot and the front. You might even get away with hardwood dowels, although brass rod would probably be better.

Attachments

• microswitch.png
    microswitch.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 979
Decent idea that one Eric, but I fear this may be another given an answer never seen again.

Thanks so much, my electronics skills are rather limited, so I think I'm going to create a compartment with hidden hinges, which shall be a lot less challenging for me to create.

I'll look into those switches though.

Thank you once again!!

Latest posts

Back