JSP PowerCap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No idea about differences but I have the JSP and no problems wth steaming up. Not sure why you want spare battery, I've not needed one

I've got the Ax version and thus far it's a pretty good bit of kit; not too heavy and no annoying 'buzz' from the motor - Rob

The Axminster one is quiet when worn on its own, but a lot louder when wearing ear defenders - the noise seems to transmit through the skull. I suspect other respirators will be the same. It is lightweight and comfortable for several hours continuous use. I have not used a JSP respirator. I agree that one battery should be enough, unless you are putting in very long days in the workshop.

The JSP is excellent. Yes, there is a noise, but it is not very intrusive. I don't know why you would want a spare battery, but if you do, there are plenty of 3rd-party suppliers.

I've got the Axi one. I generally wear ear plugs if I'm doing something noisy but for just turning its not loud at all. I don't know if they've changed it but there was a bit of a stink a year or two ago because its not actually rated to protect against fine wood dust - which is a bit naughty given the way its marketed. Obviously its a lot better than nothing...

Edit
Just done a quick check. HSE recommend a protection factor of 20 for anything involving fine wood dust. The powercap is apf 10. 3M versaflow and the powercap infinty are both apf 40. With an obvious massive step up in price. Ultimately I'll continue to use mine as its so much more comfortable than anything else I've got.

The reason for wanting a spare battery is that my shed doesn't actually have 24hr power, I have an extension that I switch on/off when I am done. So I can't have the battery charging once my "session" is finished. If I have a spare, then I can have one charging, whilst the other is in use.

But if they're going to be ridiculously priced, I'll just have to quit being so lazy and bring the battery in the house to charge each time! :|

TFrench":2yjgr9if said:
I've got the Axi one. I generally wear ear plugs if I'm doing something noisy but for just turning its not loud at all. I don't know if they've changed it but there was a bit of a stink a year or two ago because its not actually rated to protect against fine wood dust - which is a bit naughty given the way its marketed. Obviously its a lot better than nothing...

Edit
Just done a quick check. HSE recommend a protection factor of 20 for anything involving fine wood dust. The powercap is apf 10. 3M versaflow and the powercap infinty are both apf 40. With an obvious massive step up in price. Ultimately I'll continue to use mine as its so much more comfortable than anything else I've got.
Youre prepared to use a dust mask that is only 50% of the recommended safety limits?

Steve Maskery":2ogjmeg2 said:
The JSP is excellent. Yes, there is a noise, but it is not very intrusive. I don't know why you would want a spare battery, but if you do, there are plenty of 3rd-party suppliers.

Do you have a link to the 3rd party suppliers Steve?

I can only see two makers of the battery, the JSP one and the Axminster one.

No, sorry I don't. I was thinking more generally. If you have the spec of the battery I would have thought that any battery place would be able to help. But maybe I'm wrong.
I have County Battery 200 yards from my front door.

Ah ok. Yeah, the internal battery is probably easy to find. And I could easily knock up the socket for it too. Hopefully there are no other electronics inside. We'll see!

I took mine out. It's a bit of a fiddle, but it just unplugs.

IMG_20191211_103959236.jpg

IMG_20191211_104018517.jpg

Actually there are two of them. Mine is the PowerCap Lite, so I don't know how different it is from the PowerCap.

Attachments

• IMG_20191211_103959236.jpg
    IMG_20191211_103959236.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20191211_104018517.jpg
    IMG_20191211_104018517.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 175
Cheers,

Yeah, the newer ones have what appear to be a 2.1mm jack type fitting, so much easier to plug/unplug

sunnybob":11unampz said:
TFrench":11unampz said:

Edit
Youre prepared to use a dust mask that is only 50% of the recommended safety limits?
It's not quite as straightforward as that Bob. Whilst on the face of it it's a lower level it does relate to the exposure limit in the workplace so the factor 10 may well be perfectly 'safe' without having to spend the extra on higher levels of 'protection'.

Sometimes the workplace calculations don't translate well to the DIY world.

I'm not sure how that works.
If a mask stops 50% of the dust, surely thats counting every breath through the mask?
If another mask stops 98% of the dust, surely that is also counting every breath?

Or do the numbers change if you hold your breath and only inhale once every five minutes?

I am not convinced by this analysis.

I have one of these. It's really good. It stops virtually all of the dust I create. It is also fabulous on the ride on mower for keeping pollens out (me being asthma and hay fever central).

I would not use it if I was spending all day cutting up MDF or creating clouds of fine dust on a lathe, but in practice: a) most dust I create is very visible (planer, circular saw etc) and I don't use MDF or very irritating woods much, b) in most cases I am using another form of dust collection as well (cyclone extractor for all workshop tools and Festool extractor for portable stuff - even the multitool). This grabs the vast bulk of it before it gets near the mask.

It is important to take sensible precautions, and it is also sensible to choose kit that is actually easy to use.

but in practice: a) most dust I create is very visible (planer, circular saw etc)

Hang on, The dust you CAN see is nowhere near as dangerous as the dust you CANT see.
The whole point of the mask classification system is to take into account the microscopic dust that floats into and sticks to the side of your lungs.
Using your criteria, you could just as easily use a hankie tied around your head,or maybe just breathe through your nose and then blow it once youre finished.

Latest posts

Back