JSP PowerCap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You and I probably both know I am not that dim Bob. The truth is there is dust and dust. I mostly work in oak. Very often green oak. Mostly that is outdoors. The extra dust that reaches me is minimal.

Microscopic dust is floating around us all the time. Excretia from mites, skin flakes from humans and animals, and so on. We don't go around with masks on all the time.

In my case, in the workshop, by far the vast majority of it is removed by the pro level dust extraction systems I use. If this system is powerful enough to suck in the big stuff the small stuff has no chance, and the big super fine filters catch it. I am not just relying just on a mask.

I think there is a danger that we put people off taking sensible precautions by denigrating equipment that in an amateur environment is pretty effective. Many people hate wearing face masks. However good they are, they are useless if the don't fit well or they create another hazard if they steam your glasses up. These masks which blow air down over your face are cheap enough for many amateurs to buy, comfortable enough that they will get used, and effective enough that they will be beneficial.

I agree that there are better (much more expensive) filter masks, in terms of efficacy. But these are MUCH better than not using anything or using something that doesn't fit.

I think it is unwise to be evangelistic about this. Steps are to be encouraged. Consumers can check the filter ratings and if they want to spend big, they can do so.

sunnybob":3v2lmvw5 said:
I'm not sure how that works.
If a mask stops 50% of the dust, surely thats counting every breath through the mask?
If another mask stops 98% of the dust, surely that is also counting every breath?

Or do the numbers change if you hold your breath and only inhale once every five minutes?
But it doesn’t just stop 50% of the dust. Where are you getting that figure from? The difference between an apf of 10 and 20? It is not a straightforward linear comparison.

In the correctly matched situation it will reduce dust exposure to below the workplace exposure limit.

I know you have a thing about dust but you also need to keep a sense of perspective.

The numbers were merely for comparison.

I dont like wearing a mask. It annoys me intensely.
But I know people with COPD. And in the course of a very serious illness 5 years ago, I suffered the same symptoms due to an allergic reaction to drugs, and was unable to walk three steps without gasping for breath. If I HAVE to wear a mask to prevent that becoming permanent, then I want it to do the best damn job it can.

Regardless of the cool air, and the unpleasantness of fogging up glasses (which I am lucky enough to not need to wear normally, only using safety glasses when theres a risk of flying stuff), the JSP does not filter as well as a FFP3 face mask.
If there were top quality filters for the JSP, its possible i might buy one.

sunnybob":2etug8lc said:
the JSP does not filter as well as a FFP3 face mask.
If there were top quality filters for the JSP, its possible i might buy one.
The quality/specification of the filters is not the limiting factor, it's the ability or more correctly its inability to prevent backward intake of contaminated air past the face seals if you take a deep breath that is the main determining factor in the 20-10 % ratings. No point in having the finest filter available if a significant portion of the air intake is not being filtered by it.

Think worst case scenario of a shop air filter, no matter how good it is your lungs are still filtering in parallel any air not passing through it at the same time.

This debate ended a long time ago (it's now July 2023), but I wanted to add some experience of my own. I'm just thinking out loud here really, so please don't think I'm trying to pretend I'm an expert or have the definitive word on this subject; I'm just sharing in case it helps anyone.

I'm an active DIYer but not one with a smart workshop. I have a Record router table with Bosch Pro workshop vacuum and homemade cyclone (which works really well), but no air filters, external fans etc. I have an Axminster APF10 that I bought about 7 years ago and is now end of life. The APF10 has been a great purchase overall because it's so light, comfortable and familiar that I can just grab it and put it on in less time than it takes me to type this. The battery lasts for ages and the airflow is great, especially when working in the loft. I use it when I'm grinding or cutting metal, using my tracksaw or router, lying underneath the car removing rust or undoing rusty bolts, when using the compressed air line to clean the chainsaw etc. etc. It's always there, always protecting my eyes and lungs from the modest stuff that I tend to do.

I don't want to go near the arguments about HSE guidance, legislation, comparative ratings, what is and isn't floating in the air etc. That's all been covered elsewhere. I just wanted to share my current situation as I see it and my own frustration with it all.

Basically, it's price (aka value for money) and maintainability.

Right now these are the powered respirators that I can find (ignoring anything with hoses or pipes):
Curiously, all of these are sold without VAT added except the Trend AIR/PRO; no idea why.

But my big issue with my Axminster APF10, which has otherwise served me so well, is that the fan is not replaceable. The only moving part and I can't replace it. :mad:

Okay, yes, I've had it for 7 years, but elapsed time and time in use are not the same thing don't forget - I haven't actually had 7 years of use out of it (being a DIYer). It's ridiculous that it's made of plastic and welded together (to reduce weight presumably) rendering it unserviceable. I've repaired so many things over the years to avoid them being thrown away but, in the absence of any effective legislation, many companies are still churning out non-maintainable products that end up in landfill.

So do I buy another, choose a different model....? Frankly, given the lightweight plastic it's made of, 300 quid is a lot of money for 6 or 7 years of ownership. Basically that helmet is going to cost me £50/year to have hanging on a hook in the garage; that's quite a lot in my view. If I could swap out the fan, as you can with the Trend models, that would reduce the ownership cost (although £95 for the Trend made-in-China-from-cheap-plastic fan is also, frankly, robbery).

Reading the reviews, lots of people complain about the Trend's balance and weight, whereas I hardly know I'm wearing the APF10 after a few minutes, unless I bump my head on something. I'll probably end up buying another APF 10 because I want that cooling airflow that my 3M full face FFP3 doesn't provide, so I'm really just having a bit of a public moan about the fact that companies can sell things made largely of plastic for exhorbitant sums that aren't repairable.

(I should add, for balance, that I contacted Axminster to ask about a replacement fan and they quoted me.....wait for it......£195.95 for a new motor unit. No, of course I won't.)

So there we are - some useful products out there but at breathtaking prices. I imagine Axminster, JSP and Trend senior managers are all running around in very expensive cars.

Back