Jorgensen Pony 52 clamp stockists? ( 1/2 inch)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJoeShow

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice where I could get the 1/2 inch pony clamp in the uk?

I have a quote for 4 sets and two Irwin pipe clamps from the USA of $146, about £95, which seems pretty good but its going to take between 1 and 3 weeks to ship and I was hoping to get them sooner.

This is my first post so hello to everyone! I hope you are all well and for anyone who's interested I'm going to use the clamps to build the 'New-Fangled Workbench' from Fine Woodworking Magazine.

Joe

I thought Dictum did them but just looked and they only have the 3/4"

Any special reason you want the 1/2" as the pipe will flex if you put much pressure on them, I know it does with my No50 & No56 sets.

Only because thats the way it is in the plans for the bench that I downloaded.

I thought that it might be because the pipes have to run through the framework that supports the top surface of the bench and so maybe its got something to do with not boring too big a hole through the supports?

But if there's a question over them doing the job properly maybe I should beef it up...

Oh, Just remembered, I think I saw a choice between medium and heavy gauge pipe somewhere on the internet...

I think that might be because american spec 1/2" pipe which has an outside diametr of 3/4". I guess your makeing that bench with the clamps within the top for workholding?

That's the one. It seems to have a lot of flexibility in terms of ways to hold work for someone using mostly hand tools, the guy who designed it worked from a shop with no electricity at all for 5 yrs.

I've got electricity but limited space so i'm hoping to get by on a bandsaw, router box and my bench/hand tools. Plus whilst I dont have to make a living from woodworking at the moment I'm going to enjoy the pleasure of improving my hand tool skills !

Looks like the best thing is going to be using the 3/4" - This bench is quickly becoming more and more expensive...

Well the pipe is cheap and the clamps aren't dear either so it shouldn't be too bad. 3/4" is the size he was using. Good luck!

Oryxdesign":2lojgjzf said:
I think that might be because american spec 1/2" pipe which has an outside diametr of 3/4". I guess your makeing that bench with the clamps within the top for workholding?

Its the same as our 3/4" pipe is about 1 1/16" OD and thats what fits the 3/4" clamps and that bows particularly with teh longer reach No56 heads. The 1/2" pipe may be OK if teh bench stops it from flexing.

Just go to a decent plumbers merchants and ask for 3/4" barrel, get the black painted version as the clamps grip it better than galv. You will also want a hefty ratchet die stock and a good vice to add threads to any cut ends.

J

3/4" pipe for 3/4" clamps

or

1/2" pipe for 1/2" clamps

Both refer to teh bore of the pipe.

J

Latest posts

Back