Jones & Shipman 540 Valve Block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple of dowels it sits on, they are tight to get the assembly off it. A gentle bit of percussion all around with a non marking mallet persuaded mine to release. Probably just grinding grit get in.
The cylinder blocks weren't going anywhere with those dowels in place. After noticing that they were threaded, we jumped onto the lathe and just machined a small tool to help us pull the dowels out. May not have been the right way, but they eventually came out to say hello. The cylinder block assembly came off rather easily afterwards with a bump from a mallet.

I'll now follow your guide to checking the ports and passage ways. Thanks!

Valve block out and in pieces. (Un)fortunately, no pistons were stuck as I initially suspected. So.. clean up and rebuild begins soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_165257.jpg
    IMG_20220923_165257.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Of you could document in detail the rebuild of the valve block that would be appreciated. It’s one Of the few bits o haven’t taken apart. What are the gaskets made from? They look like metal ones?
There should be a little ball bearing under one of the valves.

Is that all the bits in the photo?

Of you could document in detail the rebuild of the valve block that would be appreciated. It’s one Of the few bits o haven’t taken apart. What are the gaskets made from? They look like metal ones?
There should be a little ball bearing under one of the valves.

Is that all the bits in the photo?
I am in the process of cleaning everything up - then, I will take photos of everything before reassembly.

The gaskets are all made from paper. The valve block gasket which seals the block to the cross saddle is of the Flexoid variety. The gaskets between the end plates and chambers of the valve block itself are also paper. They seem badly cut. Perhaps replaced at some point with non-OE part? The RHS cover plate appears to also have some silicon residue around the gasket. Hmm.. I think this job was done before.

I have scanned all the gaskets and faces of the valve block. I will draw them up in CAD and then cut new gaskets on our little vinyl cutter. I've decided to just use Flexoid again as someone else has.

All the bits were not in the photo, but they will definitely make an appearance here before being put back together (including the two ball bearings).

Hi @Badee !
very nice. Interested if you can then share the drawings, I would like to cut a new set too if possible. I did not open/split the valve block yet, but the other gaskets are so old they have become brittle and cannot be removed without turning to ashes. Can you tell the thickness of the ones you removed, even though I get they may not be genuine parts ? What Flexoid thickness will you go for then ? I tend to use Klingerite gasket sheets - is Flexoid somewhat similar ?

Last edited:
Hi @Badee !
very nice. Interested if you can then share the drawings, I would like to cut a new set too if possible. I did not open/split the valve block yet, but the other gaskets are so old they have become brittle and cannot be removed without turning to ashes. Can you tell the thickness of the ones you removed, even though I get they may not be genuine parts ? What Flexoid thickness will you go for then ? I tend to use Klingerite gasket sheets - is Flexoid somewhat similar ?
I will share the drawings for the gaskets as soon as we've tested them :LOL:

The (old) valve block cross saddle gasket is 0.4mm Flexoid - It says 0.4mm on the sheet and measures 0.28-0.35 with a micrometer. I've got a new sheet of 0.4 Flexoid which comes in at 0.37 on the micrometer. I will use it to replace all the gaskets, even though the internal valve block gaskets seem slimmer but measure all over the place (0.1x to 0.3x on the micrometer). So I guess ignorance will be bliss?

ITO gasket sheets: I knew nothing about them going into this project. I saw Flexoid on the machine - I bought Flexoid for the machine :ROFLMAO:

See the test gasket below :D

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_165900.jpg
    IMG_20221005_165900.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi @Badee !
Sorry for the delayed answer, been away on business for a couple weeks. Work on my 540 goes on with all small to medium castings blasted, primed & painted, enough to keep my evenings busy - the bulk of the machine will be contracted as I have a company nearby.
Your gasket looks fantastic, I wish I could cut them as cleanly as you did.
I will probably try to laser-cut them once you share the drawings. My valve block is in a much shabbier cosmetic condition so it will have to be parted out anyway so I can work out the surface condition: It means gasket time !

How is the rest of the reassembly going ?

regards

Should anyone need any 540 parts I've got one that I'll be breaking for spares.

Hi @TFrench , thanks for the information. I have a small broken part : the trip lever latch (reference N7511 on page 26 of the parts list posted by @Badee -- it is not listed in the more recent parts list although I think the part is still present).
The part is broken in two pieces, I found one half in the bottom of the valve gear cover.
I am interested if you happen to have this part available. I attach pics of the the broken part.

Besides that, could you post a few pics of the machine you will will/could break down ? Mine is missing the cooling unit...
I should soon be done blasting & painting all the castings, and reassembly will follow. I may stumble on a few other mishaps and need other parts, but don't know yet.

regards,

IMG_2642_cropped_latch.jpg
IMG_2641_cropped_latch.jpg

Hi @Badee !
did you have any time to test the gaskets you have been drawing ? If so, I am very interested in the drawings as I am soon to work on the valve block assembly.
A friend tried to laser cut the ~0,35 Klingerite material I usually use and it gave pretty good results. The cuts are not as sharp as the ones you did with a blade, but the definition is pretty good though.
best regards,

Hi @TFrench ,
did you have a chance to check if you happen to have the broken lever latch I am missing ?
regards,
Sorry, I haven't even unwrapped it again since I picked it up. Work has been completely crazy lately and I haven't got room in the factory to bring another basket case in!

Thanks for your answer, @TFrench, no worries ! Tha was just a ping - check for it once you get a chance!
I am still quite a long way from reassembling this lever - the valve block needs work before that - The part is not very difficult to remake but I am still interested in saving a few hours and rely on an original part ;-)
regards

Back