Joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to stop at a very pleasant tourist trap on the east side of the A9 somewhere between Perth and Inverness (locals will know the one).

Next to the restaurant there was a lounge with an open fire, comfortable but elderly-looking armchairs and sofas, plenty of 'country' mags. on a table. It was obviously intended (and used) as a place for ladies to park their husbands while they spent an hour or so touring the shopping areas. Always struck me as excellent marketing.

It is still there, and has become very popular. I hope it hasn't changed too much.

Frank
I did a pub crawl of the UK a few years ago in my campervan and was stunned that the Irish didnt run the world, having seen their combined pub and hardware shops. Apparently to get around the times in the licensing laws, they combined both into what must be a perfect place for a man to idle away a few hours whilst wife was shopping. Steve DummyfromDownUnder

Reactions: dzj
I did a pub crawl of the UK a few years ago in my campervan and was stunned that the Irish didnt run the world, having seen their combined pub and hardware shops. Apparently to get around the times in the licensing laws, they combined both into what must be a perfect place for a man to idle away a few hours whilst wife was shopping. Steve DummyfromDownUnder

Hi Steve, pubs combined with hardware/grocers/undertakers etc started when the temperance movement in Ireland became more influential and forced many pub owners to seek other ways of making a living as pub sales fell.
The licensing aspect was indeed an issue (UK laws) just prior to WW1 and partition.

Freddy Frinton - Dinner for One, apparently it's televised every New Year in Austria/Germany
A non-smoker who was also tee-total - simply brilliant. Well worth seeking out even if you've seen it a dozen or more times before!

1638265539749.png

Freddy Frinton - Dinner for One, apparently it's televised every New Year in Austria/Germany

AND in Switzerland too! Would you believe, until I came here I'd NEVER seen/heard of it?

It has it funny bits, but I have to say that after the first 10 or so viewings (it's shown here EVERY year, without fail!) for me anyway it wears a bit thin. But they seem to lap it up here - year after year after year.

AND in Switzerland too! Would you believe, until I came here I'd NEVER seen/heard of it?

It has it funny bits, but I have to say that after the first 10 or so viewings (it's shown here EVERY year, without fail!) for me anyway it wears a bit thin. But they seem to lap it up here - year after year after year.
You have to watch it with Germans, otherwise it loses its appeal. All Germans know it off by heart, can quote it along with the actors (and usually do), and laugh at every joke just before it happens - it's a riot. The audience are far more fun than the actual sketch. I strongly recommend watching it with a roomful of people whose idea of the pinnacle of great humour is Mr Bean. The Swiss probably have too much foreign influence to have a properly tutonic sense of humour.

Here it is for those who haven't yet had the pleasure:

You have to watch it with Germans, otherwise it loses its appeal. All Germans know it off by heart, can quote it along with the actors (and usually do), and laugh at every joke just before it happens - it's a riot. The audience are far more fun than the actual sketch. I strongly recommend watching it with a roomful of people whose idea of the pinnacle of great humour is Mr Bean. The Swiss probably have too much foreign influence to have a properly tutonic sense of humour.

This show is one of the reasons we stopped visiting our German friends for the New Year holidays and stay home. The show was mildly entertaining the first hundred times, but by the second day I couldn't bear to watch it again.

Here it is for those who haven't yet had the pleasure:

I can assure you that the Swiss (on the German side of "the Roesti Graben" anyway) have more than enough "Teutonics" to go around! I also do NOT watch it any more, like MikeK. The first time I saw it my (Swiss) wife was astounded that I'd never seen/heard of it before. She still watches it every year. I hide!

I can assure you that the Swiss (on the German side of "the Roesti Graben" anyway) have more than enough "Teutonics" to go around! I also do NOT watch it any more, like MikeK. The first time I saw it my (Swiss) wife was astounded that I'd never seen/heard of it before. She still watches it every year. I hide!
Oh what we miss on the "other side" of the rösti graben!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back