Joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
6B7F9F0D-70E5-4362-903D-41263E99E57D.jpeg

(Above): Doesn't look like a secret to me (assuming that I've recognised Vittorio correctly - 2nd from L. Little bloke too!).

In the same vein as some previous posts (and with thanks to the still much-lamented Humph & co):

Testiculate - violently waving yer arms about while spouting a load of balls

Masticulate - self-pleasuring while simultaneously chewing gum

Diode - deathbed poem

Why don't they eat french fries in Wiltshire?
Because they have no Devizes for Chippenham

(Above): Doesn't look like a secret to me (assuming that I've recognised Vittorio correctly - 2nd from L. Little bloke too!).

It doesn't dawn on you guys that it's a play on Victoria's Secret, the Americal woman's lingerie company? Scantily clad underwear models and the picture above.

Pete

YES Pete, I for one - and I guess everyone else - DID get it! It was just that "Vittoria" appears to be a little more well-endowed - OK a LOT more - than yer average Victoria's Secret model. Or have I missed something in their recent ads? :dunno:

signed: "Fully dawned" (of Tunbridge Wells)!

(And you most probably get Tunbridge Wells or Humph either mate - guessing)

Oops. Got it wrong once more.
Nope don't get the Tunbridge Wells or Humph references either but I live a sheltered life. 😉

Pete

No, you don't lead a sheltered life mate, you just live in the wrong place to be able to "get the indirects":

1. Back in "the good old days", if someone/thing upset the pre-conceived ideas and sensibilities of - typically - some retired Army Major - he'd write a letter of complaint to the newspapers, usually "The Times" or perhaps "The Daily Telegraph". Invariably, such letters would be signed "Disgusted (or something similar) of Tunbridge Wells". Tunbridge Wells is a just a fairly non-descript and innocuous typical English country market town in SE England. No idea why it was always "Disgusted - or similar - of Tunbridge Wells" 'cos I don't think that that town has/had more than it's fair share of retired Army majors (or other pompous retirees) than anywhere else. But that's the town that "always" seemed to be featured. Same with people hearing the first cuckoo of spring and "reporting" it in "The Times" readers letters column.

2. "Humph" refers to one Humphrey Littleton, a now sadly deceased and rather good Dixieland jazzband brass player (trombone I seem to recall). He also became the "host" of a BBC radio show (NOT TV, please note) which sarcastically mimicked/satirised the popular radio and TV quiz shows of the time. It was called "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" and featured Humph chairing a panel of 2 teams of 2 comedians. I was all apparently off the cuff, but was actually pretty closely scripted beforehand. It was filled with all sorts of nonsense "games" where each of the pair of comedians had to outpoint the other, and often featured many many howling puns, a lot of which were full of sexual innuendo, especially those given to Humph. Games ("rounds") included such gems as "The Uxbridge English Dictionary" (featured several times recently in this Jokes thread); "Mornington Crescent" (a game without any published rules where the contestants challenged each other on obscure points of said rules, all apparently "based" on the London Underground rail map); and "One Song to the tune of another" (self-explanatory), amongst several others.
OK, you had/have to be of a certain frame of mind/outlook to appreciate all this "junk", but if you fit the bill, this show was half an hour of pure groans and "laughing yer silly 'ead orf".

Like I said mate, you just live in the wrong place to appreciate these gems. Don't worry about it "We all have our crosses to bear". :)

Humph was also a cartoonist, and presented a jazz program on the radio for many years.
His 'Bad Penny Blues' is often cited as the inspiration for 'Lady Madonna' by The Beatles.

Didn't know either of those things either, thanks. But I did listen to his programme and DO know "Bad Penny Blues". If we're continuing off topic for a mo, I'd like to hear "Bad Penny Blues" played by Tuba Skinny (if not familiar, search YouTube - well worth it IMO). Brilliant for a bunch of not more than middle-aged (some a bit younger I guess) US "amateurs".

Just think how much more they would sell if they gave the husband a comfy chair and a cold beer whilst he waited !
Sad, Iain Pattinson died a few months ago, his obituary in the telegraph was full of the double entendres he wrote for Humph, so very dry witted and clever. Ian

Thanks. Here I thought my education was complete having watched Benny Hill, On the Busses, The Two Ronnies, Fawlty Towers, and Monty Python's Flying Circus. I won't mention what Diana Rigg on the Avengers did for me as a lustful boy as that was no joke. 😉

Pete
Pretty much the same as Felicity Kendall did for me in The Good Life 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back