Joints for a set of shelves ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood

Established Member
Reaction score
My next project is two pairs of shelves against the gable walls of a loft study, so the tops follow the 30 degree roof slope. The shelves will be against the cavity external walls. Early sketches attached 1:10 scale on A3 sheets.
And are to carry personal files and ring binders and a comprehensive stamp collection
In the past I would have made a series of boxes and screwed them tougher and hoped for the best, but I feel I ought to do better.
How would you make the joints, especially where the sloping tops meets an upright and a horizontal shelf ?
1632161184419.png
1632161218849.png

I’d avoid that sloping roof by stopping the shelves short or using a trim to cover the front, as that roof line will be inconsistent and moves a bit too.
If you’re using sheet material then housing joints would be my choice

Thanks rob and tiddles. think I will make a series of conventional boxes and maybe have an angled trim idea.
had a brief look at Peter Millard's stuff but haven't found anything on angled shelves yet

It looks like a job for pocket hole screws to me. Just insert the screws on the horizontal or vertical component and let the corner abut the angled top. They can be covered with plastic inserts or real wood if you prefer.

Thanks rob and tiddles. think I will make a series of conventional boxes and maybe have an angled trim idea.
had a brief look at Peter Millard's stuff but haven't found anything on angled shelves yet
The last build and install from earlier in the year was an angled wardrobe in a loft room, but it wasn’t intended for the kind of load a stamp collection and ring binders would apply. Full playlist here FWIW -

My last build & Install - https://bit.ly/MyLastBuild

Just looking at your drawings quickly, I think I’d be more inclined to make the uprights angled, and have the shelves with a straight edge, butted against them. And yes, build a complete carcass that’s enclosed within the space, and scribe an infill all around to accommodate wonky walls and droopy ceilings.

HTH P

Thanks for that Peter. I'm in awe your skills.
In my beginners world , biscuits are things you eat, dominoes I play with , and kreg joints sound like dodgy pubs.
i really like your idea of making an adjustable template. I'm sure mt gable walls aren't symmetrical and I will need to scribe any trim pieces.
Thanks for the heads up to your play list which I'll have loads of fun browsing through. can I ask what on earth is a patreon ?

Patreon is a site for creative/maker/YouTubers to allow people to support them with a monthly donation. There are usually various tiers with various 'rewards' available.

The bulk of it for most YouTubers is exclusive Patreon posts / videos that don't appear on their YouTube channel and also ad-free videos.

I'm a patreon of Peter and I used to support a few others. I can tell you that Peter's is well worth the money - he usually posts at least 1 update per week ( holidays excepted, which to be honest, I was a little miffed at when I contribute£2.50 / month :ROFLMAO:) and he gives fascinating insights into the content he's going to be putting out and all the behind the scenes stuff. I subscribed to a few other makers but I cancelled them because they really don't offer much.

Peter is also refreshing because he doesn't just push sponsorships for totally unrelated products (no, I don't ever want a sponsored segment from Squarespace anywhere ever again!! - see, advertising works!), so I feel as he doesn't do that, it's a nice thing to support him as he is making less money than he probably could if he chose to.

Back